Advice?

ChristopherM

I want my next recording project to be better than the last.
I'm looking for any advice on mixing, production, etc.

Click the "music" link on the URL below to find four songs from the last project:
"Henry the Clown"
"Louise"
"Rumcake"
"Mosquito"

Listen to one or all. Any advice appreciated. Thanks.

www.christophermast.com

PS - Advice on website development also appreciated. Thanks again!

I've been told the link to "Henry the Clown" doesn't work.

I'll fix that tonight. Please check out the rest.

Thanks.

I listened to Rumcake. I like the guitar sounds. But really the main thing is real drums. The drum machine sound just doesn't do it for me, you need to find a drummer and mic him up I'm afraid.

CanopuS said:
I listened to Rumcake. I like the guitar sounds. But really the main thing is real drums. The drum machine sound just doesn't do it for me, you need to find a drummer and mic him up I'm afraid.

Thanks for the input. As for Rumcake, I did what I could do with a one bedroom apartment and Sonar XL. I agree wholeheartedly that real drums sound best (in fact I've played drums longer than I've played guitar), but I also had to keep my budget in mind. I hope to have a real drummer on the next project.

ChristopherM

I checked out "Mosquito". Cool little tune!

It has a real AC/DC vibe to the rhythm section and guitar until the vocals come in and then I get a real B52's vibe from it.

The lead guitar seemed a little to raw and dry but, not in a horrible way or anything. Just a my own take on it.

The vocals could come up a bit on this one too, if only to give the singer a little more authority in the track. All the words were clear and understandable.

Good stuff!:cool:

The Ghost of FM said:
ChristopherM

I checked out "Mosquito". Cool little tune!

It has a real AC/DC vibe to the rhythm section and guitar until the vocals come in and then I get a real B52's vibe from it.

FANTASTIC! I was going for a combo B52s/Ramones/Eels kinda vibe...looks like I was on track. I even used early B52s as reference CDs to check the mix. Thanks for the other advice too. Yeah, I think the vocals should have been louder.

This forum is great! This feedback is going to be helpful next time 'around.

ChristopherM said:

PS - Advice on website development also appreciated. Thanks again!

The flash pop up main page is one of the worst inventions ever.There is no way to maximize the page to make it stay on top and the internet explorer toolbar menus are not available.I close the page immediately when I run into one of these flash pages.Too much of a hassle...it might look "pretty" but as far as functionality goes it sucks.

Back