• no way

Votes: 11 40.7%
  • if it's *very* limited, okay

Votes: 8 29.6%
  • I don't care

Votes: 8 29.6%

• Total voters

dobro

What's the etiquette for advertising your own stuff in this forum? I'm nearly finished an album, and I want to put ONE post in this ONE forum so that people who are interested can get it.

Here's the danger I see in this: if I can do it, anybody can do it. That would include people who signed up as members but never came here for anything other than to sell stuff. I'm not trying to talk you out of it, or into it either. I want to know what's acceptable.

as great as some of your stuff is, I think selling something in here (the clinic) would be bad..

I think the only thing that should be discussed in here is how that CD is mixed..

maybe just always include a message at the bottom of your posts.. kinda like a signature..

you would probably post even more being that it would be like free advertising..

just one opinion..

most of your stuff is great though..

Yeah, that's fine with me. It's a relief, actually. I want this place to never get commercialized.

I'm not for it. As it is, I have my suspicions that several users are posting for commercial reasons - under the guise of wanting "feeback" on their mix.

BPOCO

Not here, but I've ben saying all along that there ought to be a place here where you could advertise your work, or where product vendors could freely spam their mics, mic pres, etc. The downside is exactly what you mentioned--any one time freak could come in with any scam he wanted.

The board sells ad space, doesn't it? What would it cost me to buy a banner for a month to promote my upcoming release? Or--make it a pay forum. Maybe some reasonable amount would buy a classified ad. It would help the board and give us a legal place to spam ourselves to high heaven! people who were LOOKING to buy stuff could go there and those who were offended could stay away....everybody's happy.

bpoco said:
I'm not for it. As it is, I have my suspicions that several users are posting for commercial reasons - under the guise of wanting "feeback" on their mix.

BPOCO

Excatly.
They are easy as to spot too.They get all defensive when you question their motives for posting here.A lot of people are dropping by here lately posting stuff just to get hits on their sites.......Losers.

Last edited:
I agree with crawdad. Having a place on the bbs would be cool but this particular forum should be left as is...to discuss mixes.

Crawdad - good idea, but I think Dragon wants as little as possible to do with this place. It would mean more work for him for relative peanuts, right? (That's a good one - 'relative peanuts' - what's a relative to peanuts? Cashews? ha ha)

Kramer - yeah, I posted a poll in about four forums to find out what the board thought of advertising in general. Nobody seemed as bothered about it as I did, and most people seemed to think a signature line at the bottom of your posts was acceptable. This time I was wondering about what people thought about flogging yer wares just here in this forum.

bpoco - like your typo. "I have my suspicions that several users are posting for commercial reasons - under the guise of wanting "feeback" on their mix." 'feeback' - that is excellent.

Crawdad - the more I think about it, the more I like your banner idea. That would be so goofy and cool. It'd be a laugh too - "I didn't sell enough to cover the cost of the banner ad."

Isn't there already a forum here for selling gear and stuff? That would be where you should put it.

I think a signature is fine... you should be able to put a link to your website in your sig, or a link to your NWR site, or a link to a place to buy your CD... I don't see a prob with that.... but no posts just for the sake of selling your stuff...

and I agree about the punks who come around here just to get attention or increase the hit counts on their websites... that's very annoying... I usually shoo them away whenever I see them. :p

WATYF

Holy crap...I woulda sworn that everybody would have said "go right ahead!" I'm proud of you guys.

Dobro, I think your concious is right...it very well could lead future spamming. The suggestions above are all good, with your signature line and whatnot.

What you might do is post a thread in the free ads forum, and one in the cave. I know the cave isn't for advertising, but hell people announce shit in there all the time. If newbies see this and take it as an open invitation to spam, well, the cave knows how to deal with them! :) You could also get somebody to review your album and post that!

Slackmaster 2000

I'm new here, so I really don't have a lot of say, but I don't think that this is the place for advertsements. Personally, I kinda see this as a little "club" and while we want more and more members, we want to keep it to what it's for....critiquing mixes. I'm not selling anything...I really just want to learn how to mix better.

Sorry, no commercials.

I doubt that you would personally bring crass commercialization to the clinic dobro, but I believe you and others are correct that allowing that kind of thing here could quickly spiral out of control.:eek:

I think a dedicated forum for that kind of thing is not a bad idea, but it's up to Dragon. The server is slow enough sometimes without hosting that kind of stuff.;)

we want to keep it to what it's for....critiquing mixes. I'm not selling anything...I really just want to learn how to mix better.

As it should be. Well said sydfan.:)

Okay, no ads, I'm cool with that. I've contacted Dragon about the idea of renting banner space, though. Crawdad, anybody else - if you email him as well, it might get his attention, which is difficult to capture.

Back