advertising in this forum?

• no way

Votes: 11 40.7%
  • if it's *very* limited, okay

Votes: 8 29.6%
  • I don't care

Votes: 8 29.6%

• Total voters
I had another looney idea and perhaps not a very good one, but I will throw it out there anyway. What would you think of granting the "occasional" (and by that I mean once or twice) spam licence to members with over a thousand posts? :D

What I mean is this: You've been on the board forever and there are a bunch of other selfless contributors who keep posting, critiquing, and helping others. If you came along and said you had a record for sale here, quite honestly, I'd have no problem with it.

Where my objection lies is when the news gets out that anybody can bop in here and post an ad for their new mega homemade piece of crap and leave without even wiping their feet on the mat or even offering a sincere thank you.

People like B.Sabbath, Lt. Bob, Gidge, Kramer, Geurnica, Erland, Dobro, Erichenryus, Participant, SluiCe, (many, many others)etc, etc...who have been instrumental in the whole process and can prove it by their sheer number of posts....well, I have no problem giving them licence to promote themselves a bit. For God's sake, they deserve it. Some 1 post newbie twit who comes here wanting to promote his CD--well, I have a serious problem with that. Its about paying dues. You pay your dues, you get a little perk, ya know? I think thats only fair.

See, the clinic is its own unique place on the map, independent of every other forum. Its for people who make music and record music at home and want to get better. This is where the members lay it on the line--their reputation and their soul. I've got nothing against any other forum, but this is where the proof is in the pudding. Those that have made the sacrifice are the ones I can cut some slack for. Personally, I think this is a cool idea. Comments?

Sure, that idea's fine with me too, but it would take some administration, right? And again that comes back to Dragon who, like God, created this little universe and then buggered off to let us have our way with it. At the very least it would require more moderators who could delete stuff that didn't follow the rules, and face it, this place runs on a minimum of rules and moderation. Your idea's fine, but this place is probably too anarchic. LOL :)

Yeah Al....it's not a bad idea but it's like the death penalty.....as long as it exists; how do you prevent abuse? It'll absolutely be seen by some as a free-for-all as far as advertising goes.

Now....I would think the only ones at this board that are likely to buy a CD from anyone at this board are the people who already know you. So why not PM them? Put everyone you want to get it on your buddy list and send out a mass PM. Also, if you're on Nowhere....you can put info like that where it will be seen when folks read the song description.

Is that ok Waldo?

Dobro--Your mailbox is full. here is what i wrote to you:

I don't think its important. Published simply means that copies have been made available for sale. Since you haven't made any copies for sale yet, its still an unpublished work. You may want to wait until you have the CD in hand and just send a copy of that as a published work at the time it is released.

My experience is that its pretty hard to get ripped off these days anyway. Writers can't even get publishers to listen to their stuff, let alone worry about getting their music ripped off. Probably nobody would even try until they got a copy of the CD, but its doubtful even then.

I used to copyright all my songs, but when people in Nashville started picking them up, they actually said not to bother, because they had to transfer my publishing rights and then submit forms for the new publishing--kind of complicated. I stopped copyrighting material in those days for that reason. I let the administration folks handle it all.

Lt. Bob--Thats a good idea. I can't do it though! I feel like a heel selling my music to the people that help me to get it right, ya know? I consider the clinic regulars my friends. How could I ask them to cough up money for my CD? Maybe its just me, I dunno.

Like, I'm gonna PM you and to buy my stuff? I don't think so!:D

personally, it has been my experience that the person that dupes up 1000 CDs or so, is able to give 1/3 of them away ..if not more...not suggesting that Dobro do so...but just seems to be the case. If "we" are buying homemade CDr's...that's another issue too.

I say take it to the equipment for sale forum, and post it there. We all know who is who pretty much anyway, and I don't think expanding that forum will 'twist many knickers'.

btw...I don't think posts withOUT mp3 files in this clinic is bad either (as I just did another one!). As long as it has relevence to the clinic, imo.

(if your knickers get twisted with that....maybe just take 'em off!:eek: )

Bob> There is sales features on the site, and there'll be more on NWR4, including better CD packages (hopefully, one company just backed down because they 'weren't going to make enough profit' and wanted to raise prices, I told them to f-off).

W.

A: Well, Mr Waldo, I'm afraid that doesn't afford us a large enough profit margin.

B: Foff.

A: Excuse me?

B: Foff then.

A: Uh...do you have a cough? Would you like a glass of water?

B: Oh foff.

crawdad said:
Lt. Bob--Thats a good idea. I can't do it though! I feel like a heel selling my music to the people that help me to get it right, ya know? I consider the clinic regulars my friends. How could I ask them to cough up money for my CD? Maybe its just me, I dunno.

Like, I'm gonna PM you and to buy my stuff? I don't think so!:D
Well.......That's pretty valid. LOL :D

Ive gotten quite a few CD's for free from members here.....one of them in particular I would have probably paid $20 for.....some i would have paid $10 for....some are making great coasters.....:D if I ever did a CD I would definitely give everyone that wanted one a freebie (that would probably be 2 people:p )......

with that said i would not expect anyone to advertise a CD here in the Clinic....i suspect it has been done in the past, but most can see it for what it is.....

i wouldnt even advise a forum on this BBS for doing it because that would bring an influx of unwanteds.....

my 2 cents

everybody has some really excellent points.

I guess I didnt even think about it that much when I started to sell mine.... I just went ahead and put something like cd for sale in the clinic.. but looking at how many people that are turned off by this esp. leading to spam.. maybe it wasnt the best idea.

seeing that you're a moderator .. people look at you kind of like a leader, so then you have to come up with a clever plan of attack such as inadvertently selling these things while posting a song here in the clinic. or wherever else works :)

i think that 99% of your potential customers will find you or word of mouth... setup a website and get your name out somehow.

I put I dont care... because its the internet ..right!? if you abuse it the internet police will get you

I would feel like a heel expecting someone to give me free CD's.:D

Back when my old metal band released our album (yes, vinyl!:D) in the mid '80's it seemed like everyone I knew expected us to give 'em away. After all, we were rich rock stars, right? :rolleyes: Of course that was back before the home recording revolution.

I think there's a big difference between a casual mention that you have stuff for sale, and purposely posting here to hawk your wares. The latter is the kind of thing we don't want here.

Thats what the www button is for.;)

Personally I think the best bands get big from word of mouth. From my short time here I've noticed that most the guys that post websites with 50 songs and an ad at the bottom to buy a cd don't get rated very well. It just shows that they're not doing very well in public if they have to advertise online.

If you have to advertise do it at the club you just played at. Hand out some free cd's and if it sounds good, one day you'll wake up and hear your stuff on the radio.

Don't get me wrong, there is ALOT of great music being posted here. Hell, half the cd's in my truck are full of the music from this forum. I know not everyone has the luxery of a full band, but if your music is truely good, it'll always get played somewhere.

just my thoughts....LATA!

The best way to advertise your 'finished product' is to simply put it in the context of the forum.

Make a post and draw attention to one of the songs, give a link to a page which contains the download or stream link for the song, and that page should clearly advertise the sale of the CD-Album.

Mention in the post that these are completed mixes, and you want the board member to review this 'completed mix' as it is from your CD that is for sale ...

You want to check the mix of the final product ... that simple.

Put it into the context of the board.

Huh??

Golly garsh how did this old thread get dugged up?

I don't know what you're talking about Sam :confused: :confused: :confused: what does this thread have to do with me? I never posted here before :eek: ;)

No seriously, looks like somebody dug this up from it's february grave to make a point, because it was at the top of the forum when i refreshed the page today (9/18/2003). Then whomever dug it up deleted their post.

Very clevah grasshoppah!

Damn, Khompy....you're right.

And I thought: 'yay, Dobro is going to release a new album!'

Damn...

Khompewtur said:
No seriously, looks like somebody dug this up from it's february grave to make a point, because it was at the top of the forum when i refreshed the page today (9/18/2003). Then whomever dug it up deleted their post.

Very clevah grasshoppah!

More likely someone just voted in the poll and it popped up to the top again ;) <------Wink not meaning that it was me :D

Back