Adagio in G minor - Computer generated

CrowsofFritz

Flamingo!
I did this in Garageband! :eek:

It's more capable than I thought it was a while back. Everything is all synths. I added many volume automation points.

I should add that I only did 1:20mins of the song. That alone took me 8 hours to do.

Tell me what you think!

Attachments

• Adagio in G minor.mp3
    3.5 MB · Views: 17
Hmm, well it certainly does sound like a bunch of synths to me. Not bad for what it is, but I don't know what you're going for here.....

It's impressive in that it was done in Garageband. The note values are wonky, though - did you play it or program it? And the mix is unattractively bright and queer too. And in eight hours, I could come up with three or four minutes of stuff. :) But the big question is do you think you can use what you learned in another project?

Hmm, well it certainly does sound like a bunch of synths to me. Not bad for what it is, but I don't know what you're going for here.....

I tried to make it sound as real as I could. I could probably use much better synths or samples, really.

Thanks for giving it a listen!

It's impressive in that it was done in Garageband. The note values are wonky, though - did you play it or program it? And the mix is unattractively bright and queer too. And in eight hours, I could come up with three or four minutes of stuff. :) But the big question is do you think you can use what you learned in another project?

I tried to find a way in making it darker. The original synths were incredibly bright. I could have used better ones, but I would say not bad for my first time!

What do you mean in another project? I'm planning on doing more contemporary stuff which will be easier to get away with the sound of the synths.

Obviously, you will never be able to produce the sound of a microphone on a solo violin or orchestra with a synth. I tried to come close! lol. :)

What's the point in pursuing it if you can't get a better sound out of it more easily than you did here? Sure, it's about the song and the performance. But it's equally about the *sound*. If the sound stinks, what's the point?

What's the point in pursuing it if you can't get a better sound out of it more easily than you did here? Sure, it's about the song and the performance. But it's equally about the *sound*. If the sound stinks, what's the point?

Well, perhaps there is confusion in my statement.

The sound of the synths/samples matters much more in a song like this.

Adagio in G Minor (Albinoni) - YouTube

Rather than a song like this.

Assassin's Creed Brotherhood OST - City of Rome - OLD VERSION - YouTube

And perhaps "better" isn't the right word to use either. I could get away with the sounds more on something like the second song rather than the first. And also, I found I could only use synths on slow orchestras. I definitely couldn't do it on a piece like, say, Mozart's symphony #9. And it's also harder to imitate an entire orchestra like the first song rather than single instruments like the second.

Ah well, if you can get stuff sounding as good as the stuff you linked to, that'll be great.

I've done similar things in the past. . . created midi arrangements from scratch for no other reason than seeing whether I could do it.

The synth sounds you've used are very synthy . . . and that may be the way to go if you can't get hold of reasonably credible acoustic instrument VSTi, i.e. don't bother trying to recreate natural sounds, but just give the piece a whole new perspective by going Walter Carlos on it.

Thanks for giving it a listen gecko!

Yeah, since I couldn't record an orchestra playing my favorite piece, why not create it :D

Like I said, I'll be doing more contemporary stuff with these synths. The timbre matters less with what I'm going to do.

I thought it was pretty fun though. The ridiculous part was trying to recreate the bow strokes. I couldn't have a slower attack because there were some parts where it needed to be faster and some slower.

Pretty cool, "switched-on" and all. I've never heard the original. Hard to believe it took 8 hours...

Yeah. It was probably a combination of things that contributed to the amount of time.

There were three hard parts.

The first was trying to pick out individual notes. I don't know sheet music for the instruments, so I had to pick it out all by ear.

The second was aligning the midi just right and getting the time just right. I didn't want the timing to be perfect, lest it sound incredibly robotic. A human timing took more time. :p

The third, like I said, was the volume automation points to build climaxes and low points. And also to imitate bow strokes. That took me about an hour.

The mixing itself probably took no more than 45 minutes. Probably less!

Thanks for listening fat fleet!

Back