Acoustic and vocal track.

Hey all,

Did a wee demo recording in advance of an album I'll be doing soon.

It's here.
Version two here
Version three here
Version four here (final for this recording)
Our aim is for a clean sounding 'raw' style of recording.
As natural as possible, minimal overdubs etc.

We think the vocals are sung a little harsh at points, and the mic (mk219) might not be the best choice.

I'm monitoring on headphones and hifi speakers at the minute cos my monitors are in storage,
so the question is how does it sound to you?

Could you listen to an album of this?

This song is particularly sparse. Others may have little piano leads, subtle strings, whatever is called for.

Guitar is a Taylor with mk219 spaced pair. Vox are overdubbed with mk219.
We think in future we'll keep the guitar mics the way they are but throw up a dynamic for vox and record live.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
I think it sounds excellent.
I think the oktava is a good match.
I think because the vocals are so dry and sung really close...I'd cut an ever so tiny amount of 330K and add a small amount of warm medium room reverb to the vocal.

Layer in a little shaker when the chorus hits... maybe congas at the most at the second chorus through the end.
Serve it up!
I like it even just as it is I would be proud of it.

Thanks Tmix. That's good to hear.

Actually, you're right, maybe some hand percussion when the rhythm picks when at
"When i do the streets die and I come alive.." and
"Darling darling dance away.."

Cheers :)

Edit.
Shakers and bass here.

Last edited:
I agree with tmix, and I think my only other nit would be how up front the vocal is. A bit of room, as a tinge of gain reduction will help pull it back a bit.

LOL @ cocaine cuties. That reminds me of years ago.....

Good stuff man. :D

I agree with tmix, and I think my only other nit would be how up front the vocal is. A bit of room, as a tinge of gain reduction will help pull it back a bit.

LOL @ cocaine cuties. That reminds me of years ago.....

Good stuff man. :D

Cool man, Thanks :)

I think we'd maybe do the vocals again a little further back off the mic next time.

I'm gonna dig the mackies back out now, I'm starting to enjoy this.

What is with all of that buzzing/humming? - Just joking around Paul. Those 219's are working great on this project.

I like version three.

If this is going to be a sparse recording you could get away with a darker sounding microphone on the vocal track but what you have here is still great.

I'll be danged if that Tyler Guitar sounds just like a mandolin during the last part of the song *Darling,darling dance away*

Lots of room within this song for keys, strings and bigger than life backing vocal choir harmonies.

Just saw and listened to the bass and shaker mix - was that a new vocal track as well?
I wouldn't so much have bass on this song but rather cello would seem to fit it better.

And one other thing about the ending ..... suggest to him that the ending should keep repeating and go for a slow fade out after twice through on the third time rather than the almost full stop and resolving chord. It would give a more of a remembrance to the whole of what is going on.

Wow, great stuff Henry. Thanks.

I think you're 100% right about the bass.

The mandolin sound is my little Uke. Good catch ;)

It's the same vocal take across all versions, but I did lower the level a bit and change the verb.

I like the fade out idea. I'll pitch that to him when we do the next recording.

Naturally, He's not too fussed about recording guitar then overdubbing vocals, so we'll be trying a three mic live setup soon enough.
Cheers.

Last edited:
Why don't you copy and past the end three times and fade out the third to give him an idea of how it will sound.

And you have virtual instruments right? Throw in a cello part to see what happens.

Why don't you copy and past the end three times and fade out the third to give him an idea of how it will sound.

And you have virtual instruments right? Throw in a cello part to see what happens.

Funny enough, I don't have a cello.
I was shocked to discover this, but I'm sure I'll come up with something.

Copy+paste isn't a bad plan at all. I'll go make it happen. Thanks :)

"tis very good.
The bass is fine, may be just a TINY bit lower in the mix.
'cello would sound good but it's become a bit cliche' these days (& that's from me, a poor 'cellist).
The uke as mandoline works - I actually recorded one for the same purpose a fortnight ago - cool fit isn't it!
For a h/phone mix this is pretty cool - I'm listening on them so the mix matches the reception/transmission tool!
Nice one!

I listened to the last version man - you've captured a very nice vocal and the guitar sounds full and lush. The vocal sounds just a touch to up front for my ears and I'd like to have heard the backing vocals at the end a touch more prominent. Other than that, luvverly.

Thanks rob.

I'm not gonna do anymore playing around now until the proper versions are being recorded, but those are definitely things I'll be taking a look at.

Can't wait now :D:D:D:D

Very, very nice. I like a more sparse arrangement. The bass is just a bit loud in version 3. Killer tune. Yeah, I could listen to an album of this.

Nice material. Mix is raw and on the harsh side ... with midrange freq stomping occurring up center where the vocals and acoustic collide. I'd leave the vocal untouched and experiment with the mid to low range on the guitar and see if you can carve a frequency pocket for the vocal to sit a little more clear in.

I'm sort of doing back to basics stuff these days too -- experimenting w/ various mic and mix techniques with plain acoustic guitar and vocal -- so it's the sort of thing I've been dealing with lately also.

Cool, cheers guys.

I've always had problems working with this guy. His natural voice sounds fine but his recorded voice sounds like it has some kind of midrange distortion, as if I'm really limiting it or something.

I'll be going through the mic collection for vox next time, but carving a gap sounds like a good plan too.

Man, I don't hear anything wrong with this. I guess others have better ears than I do. :rolleyes: :D

Seriously, this is really nice and well recorded and performed. It's so nice to hear someone that gives great advice around here actually back it up with a great recording. :cool:

(listened to #4).

Whoa thanks Rami. That's real nice of you to say.

Don't doubt your ears though. Number 4 went up after the last responses. I wasn't gonna bother then i changed my mind.

Have to admit, I'm a lot happier with it myself, and with a softer/smoother vocal take i think we're maybe on a winner.

Back