Acoustic + Vocal Mix.

CMolena

Hi guys, hope you are all doing well. It's been a long since my last post here, I used to be really active a couple of years ago.

So, I want you guys to give your honest opinion about this acoustic+vocals that I'm doing on youtube.

I recorded with a SM57 on guitar and a Behringer XM1800 on vocals. I did minimum EQ, a little bit of delay and no compression, just a limiter on the master bus.

Do you think it sounds good like this? I would like to hear some suggestions, so I can get better at it.

Link: Esta Tarde - Os Paralamas do Sucesso [Cover por Caio Molena] - YouTube

Thanks.

Last edited:
Just listened with my old Sony cans, but, hey, that sounds pretty good! The SM57 on the guitar is I think a good match for that style, actually.

I'm a fan of "forward" vocals, but your seemed to sit a bit in front or on top of the mix rather fitting in as well as I like to hear.

I have abused compression as much as the next person, but for this kind of thing, I always (or 90%+) of the time will use some light, fast compression on the guitar, sidechained to the vocal, because it just allows you to keep the vocal on top, but without using quite as much gain/level on the vocal track. You just want it so the consonants at the start of words are not fighting against your excitement of the guitar part :)

I do think this vocal could benefit from some automation for those places where you have moved away from the mic at the beginning of a line or phrase.

Minimal bus compression can glue it all together in front of the limiter. Another one of those things I do all the time.

I like the natural sound of that. Kind of nice to hear something that isn't over processed. Only thing I would change, but this is personal opinion I think, is I would bring you vocals down just a bit so they sit more just on top of your guitar. As it is at the moment there are times I feel your vocals are masking the guitar.

Back