Acoustic Rock original- "Pura Vida"

Man, feel absolutly un qualified to nit something like this...so good, Love it, Hints of Steve Howe in your acoustic playing/ style...to me anyways...vocals are great....thanks for sharing it, fantastic!

hey queepy, thanks for listening and commenting!

you are perfectly qualified to voice what you like or dont....
and thanks again for it!

taylorsm.jpg

you know, it's weird recording the taylor...
because it has so much bottom, and at the same time, the high end is very prominent.

i have to engineer myself, so i spend a lot of time in front of the mic, wiggling around....
moving it high, moving it low...

over my shoulders looking down, out in front pointing from over there...
over here.....

i think on this one, it was actually below me, looking up from around my knees, pointing at the edge of the guitar, away from the sound hole.
LOL

i really want the midrange (which is complex on this guitar) but is overshadowed by the low and high end...

so it's a real 'art' to find the sweet spot of a single mic in front of this guitar, while recording it...

between the gain stages of the preamp, the makeup gain i use on the DBX compressor, and the physical placement of the mic, it's a weird little game i play...

I missed this one somehow! How, I don't know. I can't pick a fault with it at all.

Sounds f'ing great to me. Got an early Crosby, Stills & Nash vibe going on in it. Great performance all round, I especially like the harmonies and the harmonics. Great song.

alright mr clean!

thanks for listening and commenting.......

a lot of folks trigger to csn, it's fairly common...
tho, i dont' really hear it in their style at all, they were coming more from a folk perspective..
and that's not really my thing.

all the same, they knew how to arrange a song or two.... and killer harmonies, so i'll take it.
LOL

thanks again.....

Maybe I should've just said Stephen Stills. The guitar work is very reminiscent of his style, if you listen to his solo stuff. Not a bad thing at all. Regardless, it's a cracking tune :D

clean-
that's cool you mentioned Stills as solo....
i hadn't heard his stuff forever, so i streamed his first solo, and manassas, man, good stuff!

Overall I think it's great! Though I sort of feel that the guitars stick out just a bit too much. It's not necessarily a bad thing but they just seem much more in your face than the vocals do. I guess just different mixing style's :)

If you don't mind me asking, any info on what mics were used to record the guitars?

ascend

thanks for listening!
and thanks for the comments,
i like the guitars hot in the mix, this is the way i would prefer to hear most singer songwriters have their mixes at....
so yes, probably a difference in mix styles...
but that's cool.....

i used a combination of ADK Hamburg and AT4033 on this guitar recording.

chain = mic>A Designs Audio MP-1> DBX compressor> convertor> soundcard

then some post mix fx and EQ

That's a beautiful track and nicely recorded. I'm listening on crappy regular old computer speakers and it sounds real nice. These crappy speakers seem to highlight poor sounding stuff and it sounds fine without anything jumping out. So, I would say you did a good job :D

Wow... Sounds good. Great, in fact. I don't have much to say, actually. During the song, because I was trying to find a nit, I found myself focusing on the mid-range jangly-ness of the guitars, and thought they sounded a bit loose, but .... that's really it - and that's such a small, subjective nit - I wouldn't do anything about it. Great job, man.

Back