Acoustic Rock Ballad

You've done a really good job there and theres nothing stands out as needing work other than adapting to taste. Nice recording and nice song.

Mark

Agreed that overall it's mixed pretty well, and great songwriting too!! If you are looking for some critical feedback (all this is listening via airpods) -

feels a bit like the first guitar/vocals are on top of each other - they are occupying roughly the same frequency range (mid freqs) and they are also panned to the same spot (in the middle). I would try to create some separation by either panning or gently carving some frequencies. Maybe the vocals could also benefit from a bit of autotuning (melodyne or the like)? Or maybe I am just too addicted to today's pop music where all vocals are always perfectly tuned :P.

Love all the guitars throughout the song. Especially the ones that comes in at 1:25 and 2:48.

The drums feel a bit imbalanced imo - the left hi hats (that come in at 1:26 in the song and at ~3 minute mark) feel too loud, and the kick feels consistently absent throughout the song. The rest of the drums feel pretty good.

Agreed that overall it's mixed pretty well, and great songwriting too!! If you are looking for some critical feedback (all this is listening via airpods) -

feels a bit like the first guitar/vocals are on top of each other - they are occupying roughly the same frequency range (mid freqs) and they are also panned to the same spot (in the middle). I would try to create some separation by either panning or gently carving some frequencies. Maybe the vocals could also benefit from a bit of autotuning (melodyne or the like)? Or maybe I am just too addicted to today's pop music where all vocals are always perfectly tuned :P.

Love all the guitars throughout the song. Especially the ones that comes in at 1:25 and 2:48.

The drums feel a bit imbalanced imo - the left hi hats (that come in at 1:26 in the song and at ~3 minute mark) feel too loud, and the kick feels consistently absent throughout the song. The rest of the drums feel pretty good.

Thanks for the feedback! I agree with all that you said now that I hear it. It's getting to the point where it's hard to listen to the song and critique it myself since I have heard it 100,000 times now.

So here's a new mix. I took out some frequencies that were too high and used some dynamic compression, and fixed up a whole number of other things. The only things I didn't do as suggested were to pan the acoustic, since I like how the mix sounds later in the song with the acoustic centered and the electric guitars panned. I do have some EQ separation between the vocals and acoustic. The other thing I didn't do was autotune. I'm not sold on using that yet, as I would rather have a more natural sound and not rely on autotune. I wouldn't mind bumping up or down the tuning manually in a few spots though. What do you think? Does it sound okay with no autotune?

Make This Right (New Mix) by Eric B | Free Listening on SoundCloud

Back