Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Acoustic Metal

Thanks

Acoustic Metal

Sign in to disable this ad
    Yeah...this may be a weird combo, but it came out better than I had expected. I tried to make every twist and turn a little bit different to keep the listeners attention and tried to have a punchy drum and bass line. Let me know your thoughts.

"Morning Comes"
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=283771
    [URL="http://www.soundclick.com/davidkatauskas"]SoundClick Rock[/URL]...geezer stuff [Acoustic Rock]
    [URL="http://www.soundclick.com/yellowhound"]SoundClick Metal[/URL]...enter at your own risk. [Metal Oriented]

Thanks
    Sounds like Alice in Chains. I don't hear anything metal about it, but it does sound really good!

Man the more I listen, it sounds a lot like Alice in Chains. The guitars, the solo, the vocal style. Really cool!

The vocals sound like Lain Staley mixed with Jerry Cantrell. That solo part sounds so much like Jerry Cantrell it's uncanny. If someone told me this was a lost Alice in Chains recording, I'd believe them.

Thanks
    Dude, your "Acoustic Jam" is awesome! You are all over the map musically, kinda like me. I like it. That acoustic song makes me wanna try that, just layering the shit out of some acoustic guitar

Damn, Capricho Arabe Serenata kicks ass too I thought you were a metal guy, where's that at?

Thanks
    Forgot to talk about the recording. This sounds totally pro, and I can't see anything to improve short of getting a real drummer to replace the canned drums. All the rest of it sounds perfect. I could easily see this being on the radio. Really nice guitar tones all around, and I love the solo tone. What kind of gear and effects and stuff did you use?

Thanks
    Thanks for the feedback John!
    For the git solo, it is triple tracked (left, center, right). It's a vintage Kramer with an EMG 81 going thru a PSA-1 rack (for dirt) then to a Crate Combo (clean channel). This is miced with a single Senn e609s thru a Tampa preamp, then into an Echo MIA card. Then in nTrack, I used some verb and filtered out most below 100 and above 1000. In fact, the acoustic gits are triple tracked also, but with an AT4040.

The overall mix is using the kjaerhusaudio.com gold package GAC-1. I just got it, and it's lots of fun to play with.

btw - what is making the drums sound canned? Is it too repetitious?
    [URL="http://www.soundclick.com/davidkatauskas"]SoundClick Rock[/URL]...geezer stuff [Acoustic Rock]
    [URL="http://www.soundclick.com/yellowhound"]SoundClick Metal[/URL]...enter at your own risk. [Metal Oriented]

Thanks
    I dunno, they just sound canned. Are they actually real drums? I say they sound canned because each hit sounds the same, even in the fast rolls and such. It's too mechanical and clean sounding, and doesn't have the touch of a real drummer. I guess I could be wrong. So far no one has managed to show me sampled drums that I thought were real, although I have heard real drums I thought were sampled. If these are sampled drums, I would adjust the velocities on a per-beat basis to make each hit slightly random to be more organic. They are programmed well, and they are "good drumming" from that standpoint. Not too repetitive, etc.

Thanks
    For example, real drums would simply sound different on those tom rolls like the one before "Hearts can be bruised..." Like each hit on a real drum builds up some kind of acoustics and it just sounds different, whereas canned drums usually sound too tight and clean on each hit.

Thanks
    Good feedback John...I'll work on that. It sounds like the toms are the biggest culprit. For the snare, I usually put a little bit of slow chorus on so that each hits sound a little different based on the location of the phase during the hit. Like you mentioned, I'll start looking at velocities too. Thanks again!

Thanks
    David, nice tune. It also reminds me a bit of AIC unplugged. While I like the drums, I'd say roll them back a small amount in the mix, and let the guitar carry the tune more. Just a thought, bought the guitar is way cool.

A side note...I see you have the gold series from kjaerhus. How does it compare to the freebies? I only have free stuff right now, but have considered buying some plugs.

Anyway, nice tune man.
    Honey Badger is badass...he don't give a shit.

Thanks

Thumbs up

This song kicks much ass (acoustically)! I am only a little distracted by the elect. drums, but they sound ok. Is it allright with you if I download this and put it on a cd?
    SnakeD-O-double G!: 5666
    my musack!

Thread Information