Acoustic Instrumental

amra

Here is an an acoustic instrumental that I recored this weekend. I didn't play the guitar, only did the recording.

What do you think?

Looking for feedback on the recording end of things....

Sounds very nice. The lows sound less natural than the highs though, like there was some boom there, and it was rolled off or hit w/a multiband.

I agree with XLR. I've had to scoop the lows out of some of my recordings to get rid of the boomyness (~125-200Hz) and this sounds like the same thing was done.

Great detail on the guitar though. What kind of guitar was it and what was the signal chain?

Well I went back and checked, though I was pretty sure I didn't do anything to the low end at all. The only EQ on the rhythm tracks is a slight (3dB) cut right at 500Hz. Other than that the EQ is flat. I did use two mics, but I checked for phasing before hand, so I dunno?

Could have just been the way his guitar sounded. Not sure what brand it was, I'll have to get back to you on that, but the recording chain was:

Joemeek JM27(SDC) at the neck joint > Presonus Eureka 4:1 compression > Delta 1010

SP B1 Over his right shoulder > Presonus TubPre > Presonus Comp16 > Delta 1010

A lot of people tend to bash it, but I really like the way the Tube Pre sounds on acoustic guitar.

yea, I hear you. I don't usually track with compression, but acoustic guitar, snare, and kick drum are the few exceptions.

Last edited:
Good comments by Tim, thanks for providing the recording chain too. Sounds nice and clean on my headphones....really nice playing too. Good job overall! :)

Back