Acoustic Blues (Nylon String)...

Gorty

This is a 12 bar blues instrumental I recorded about a year ago titled.."Blue Moon Tango".
I recorded the drums using a Zoom 234 Rhythm Machine, playing the pads live along with the bass and rhythm guitars!

This was my first attempt at recording my nylon string guitar using a Shure SM57.
Any comments in regards to the arrangement and mix would be greatly appreciated!

"Blue Moon Tango"

Gorty :)

Last edited:
All fixed now! :)

I was sent a link from Lightningmp3.com, who I use and their service is brilliant! :)

But tonite in the link I was sent it had a (\) backward slash in it when it should not have been there! :mad: :mad:

Never mind!!!....................Listen away! :)

I like the sound of the nylon. It's a little twangy (I guess because of the sm57??), which fits well with an acoustic blues. Only thing that comes to mind is that I'm missing vocals a bit, the guitar gets a little repetitive. It's well played though, nice tight triples. Overall, pretty nice. Good job.

Joepie said:
I like the sound of the nylon. It's a little twangy (I guess because of the sm57??), which fits well with an acoustic blues. Only thing that comes to mind is that I'm missing vocals a bit, the guitar gets a little repetitive. It's well played though, nice tight triples. Overall, pretty nice. Good job.

Thanx Joepie for listening!

That's one of the main reasons that I wish I was a better singer, the guitar lines in instrumentals can become very repetitive!
I tweaked the eq quite savagely to remove a lot of boominess from the nylon string guitar, maybe I tweaked a tad too much!

Thanx for listening Joepie, I appreciate your time! :)

Gorty

Cool sound Gorty. Good job using a 57. I'd try moving the L and R rhythm gtrs back a little by putting a dark 1 second tail verb on them at a moderate level. And I'd see how it sounded to thicken the lead by either chaining 2-3 limiters on it with a dB or two of reduction/makeup gain on each (try Blockfish), or use a multiband compressor on it to thicken the lower mids. That'd probably give the lead gtr a pretty solid sound.

Tim

Timothy Lawler said:
Cool sound Gorty. Good job using a 57. I'd try moving the L and R rhythm gtrs back a little by putting a dark 1 second tail verb on them at a moderate level. And I'd see how it sounded to thicken the lead by either chaining 2-3 limiters on it with a dB or two of reduction/makeup gain on each (try Blockfish), or use a multiband compressor on it to thicken the lower mids. That'd probably give the lead gtr a pretty solid sound.

Tim

Cheers Tim for the feedback and for your time taken to listen!

I will have a dabble with the compression on the lower mids.

Thanx again Tim, I appreciate your comments!

Gorty, this sounds nice man. Just one mic? You captured it well man. It has a nice flavor to it. And the playing is very cool. A nice rockin rythum man. I got no more to say man....nice tune. :D
Ed

Dogman said:
Gorty, this sounds nice man. Just one mic? You captured it well man. It has a nice flavor to it. And the playing is very cool. A nice rockin rythum man. I got no more to say man....nice tune. :D
Ed

Hey Dogman!

Thanx for listening and the comments!
I appreciate it Dogman! :)

Cheers

Groty r00 b0y :)

Great blues tune Gorty.

Listening on headphones....only thing I noticed was that the left rhythm guitar was a tad lower than the right.

The drums sound really good, and are well played.

The guitars sound very good using an SM57. I wouldn't have thought the sound would be as "close" because the mic is a dynamic. Great!

Lots of excellent riffs in this one, bluesmeister.....

and the ending is a very cool addition too! :D

Gorty,

Really nice! Very enjoyable. Like is very much. Like the playing. Impressive. It's hard for me to get a clean note sound out when playing clean.

Are both guitars Nylon. Or just one? Sounds like both to me, but I've only messed with Nylon guitars at the Guitar Center. :)

You're missing a banjo in there!

Gorty said:
This is a 12 bar blues instrumental I recorded about a year ago titled.."Blue Moon Tango".
I recorded the drums using a Zoom 234 Rhythm Machine, playing the pads live along with the bass and rhythm guitars!

This was my first attempt at recording my nylon string guitar using a Shure SM57.
Any comments in regards to the arrangement and mix would be greatly appreciated!

"Blue Moon Tango"

bLUes baaay~beeeeee!!!

KiCk aSzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz there geetarmeister!!! Some of the best rockin' dance blues I have heard in a quite while!!!! My mom is going wild !!! :eek: She's boogie-woogian all over the place!!! :D (She is a jitter-bugger from way back).

Clean, clear noting r00, this is most excellent!!

I am aware that the drums, bass and other geetars are so intertwined with one another, there sound is like a medusa instrumental!! I don't know how else to describe it. They are all there, yet I have to listen closely to define each one and can do so, but why would I want to, unless I was listening for mixing issues(or just attempting to sort how many tracks you used, which I did attempt)....One thing though, being that this is so intertwined, to sound as a perfect blend of instruments, where would the issues really be? I find none.

This is sooooooo gooood Gorty. Really. Feels like I am at a live session.

Those nylons sound real good!!

I think the mix is excellent!! Your intro and outro are great!!!! :D

I like a slow dirty blues too...got any of that lingering in those fingertips? :eek: :D

I love the blues Gorty, and one does not hear them that much in here. Thanks for the special treat. :)

EDIT: I went back and listened after reading Tim's post, and the only thing I became aware of was on the monitors the L rhythm guitar seemed a bit volume low, just as ido1957 described! On the headphones however, it was just right!! I must make a lousy homerecorder, because I sure didn't hear any problems on this tune. It amazes me as to what Tim heard!! How do you do that Tim? :confused: Why can I not hear these things? Oh well, I will carry on in my little world of mindless sounds and unheard issues. ;) :D

Last edited:
ido1957 said:
Great blues tune Gorty.

Listening on headphones....only thing I noticed was that the left rhythm guitar was a tad lower than the right.

The drums sound really good, and are well played.

The guitars sound very good using an SM57. I wouldn't have thought the sound would be as "close" because the mic is a dynamic. Great!

Lots of excellent riffs in this one, bluesmeister.....

and the ending is a very cool addition too! :D

Hey ido1957,

Thanx for listening, commenting and the compliments. I eq'd the nylon string guitar, all three track quite heavily which in this case has helped bring the guitar out!
I will have a look at the levels on the left guitar.

Thanx again ido1957 for your feedback, I appreciate it! :)

bigbubba said:
Gorty,

Really nice! Very enjoyable. Like is very much. Like the playing. Impressive. It's hard for me to get a clean note sound out when playing clean.

Are both guitars Nylon. Or just one? Sounds like both to me, but I've only messed with Nylon guitars at the Guitar Center. :)

You're missing a banjo in there!

Hey bigbubba,

Thank you for listening and commenting also, I am glad you liked it!.....A sense of accomplishment is achieved when you get positive feedback on a creation, even a little blues number like this one!

All guitars are nylon string, I used my Alambra made in Spain classical guitar! It is a sweet sounding guitar!

Thanx again Bigbubba! :)

true-eurt said:
bLUes baaay~beeeeee!!!

KiCk aSzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz there geetarmeister!!! Some of the best rockin' dance blues I have heard in a quite while!!!! My mom is going wild !!! :eek: She's boogie-woogian all over the place!!! :D (She is a jitter-bugger from way back).

Clean, clear noting r00, this is most excellent!!

I am aware that the drums, bass and other geetars are so intertwined with one another, there sound is like a medusa instrumental!! I don't know how else to describe it. They are all there, yet I have to listen closely to define each one and can do so, but why would I want to, unless I was listening for mixing issues(or just attempting to sort how many tracks you used, which I did attempt)....One thing though, being that this is so intertwined, to sound as a perfect blend of instruments, where would the issues really be? I find none.

This is sooooooo gooood Gorty. Really. Feels like I am at a live session.

Those nylons sound real good!!

I think the mix is excellent!! Your intro and outro are great!!!! :D

I like a slow dirty blues too...got any of that lingering in those fingertips? :eek: :D

I love the blues Gorty, and one does not hear them that much in here. Thanks for the special treat. :)

EDIT: I went back and listened after reading Tim's post, and the only thing I became aware of was on the monitors the L rhythm guitar seemed a bit volume low, just as ido1957 described! On the headphones however, it was just right!! I must make a lousy homerecorder, because I sure didn't hear any problems on this tune. It amazes me as to what Tim heard!! How do you do that Tim? :confused: Why can I not hear these things? Oh well, I will carry on in my little world of mindless sounds and unheard issues. ;) :D

Hey Tr00,

Thank you so much for your time and your listen!

I am so pleased you and your mum found this enjoyable to listen to. I for one wasn't sure of the response and feedback I would recieve on this tune, but so far it seems all positive!
It really inspires me when you create a tune and people get enjoyment from listening to it! It really does make this whole music business, hobbie, home recording all worth it!
This tune was a very easy flowing process when it came to recording, coming up with the little licks etc and the mixdown process, I know it is a very basic blues format but it just flowed and was very enjoyable for me to do this!
I have always enjoyed the blues and I may just attempt a nice slow, get down and dirty blues tune!

Thanx for giving me the boost and renewed vigor with your feedback True, I so honestly appreciate it! :)

Gorty (Your Groty r00 b0y) :)

Nice little bluesy tune. Playing was cool. I'm not surprised you get a fairly good tone from the 57. I used one for a long time with my steel string.

cmhansen said:
Nice little bluesy tune. Playing was cool. I'm not surprised you get a fairly good tone from the 57. I used one for a long time with my steel string.

Thanx cmhansen for your time taken to listen and comment, thank you!

Back