The 80s Funk Action Story...

finally listened to the song

Two thumbs up! I'd rather not be the loch ness monster, though, because I really don't think I would go well on a pizza. But thanks for offering :D

Hey Snakedog...way cool tune man!Honered to have my name in the lyrics :) ...I agree with a earlier poster that this is the best sounding recording I have heard from you so far...real dig that bass groove ya got goin' on here ...you just keep getting better!Awesome job !!!!!!!!

Hey thanks a lot everyone! :)

MessianicDreams, good ear man... I'm pretty sure that's the same beat from "Give it away"... I also used some RHCP tone presets.

Axeman, cool you liked your part, being a key component of the high speed car chase and all! :D I'll have to figure what I did different here because I don't have any new gear or anything, but it sounds better to me as well on everything.

Grey Angel, thanks for the listen! We'll just call you one character for now and we'll call the first post a typo, hehe

Gorty, you the down under guitar freak with dangerously quality newsletters... keep up the good work! Hope you're cool with the new line at the end of Zed thirty two stealing your kangaroo! :p

True, thanks girl! Yeah I even got some of your lyrics in there too, with the spank shed faction and all. It was fun getting everyone in :D And see Dogman gets his beer stolen and now he's counteracting by wanting to add some of his own vocals... might be scary :eek:

Dogman, have fun man, whatever you want!

Thanks again everyone!

Signature Snakedog tune man - I have to say you're getting better with every mix! This tune rocks! And the lyrics are choice too! Love the horns on this - big Chicago sound. Nice rhythms and solos on the guitars. The vocals have great effects on them - what are you using to get that cool vibe?
Lots of tracks - each adding to the cool sound - I like!

ido1957 said:
Signature Snakedog tune man - I have to say you're getting better with every mix! This tune rocks! And the lyrics are choice too! Love the horns on this - big Chicago sound. Nice rhythms and solos on the guitars. The vocals have great effects on them - what are you using to get that cool vibe?
Lots of tracks - each adding to the cool sound - I like!

Thanks a lot :) I'm going to try to get some more horns in my songs, I like how that turned out.
For the vocals I recorded two takes of almost the same thing, then panned them each 15% to the left and right channel. That's why they aren't always exactly together... each take has a different level of reverb too.

For this song I tried to get a real heavy red hot chilli peppers style bass sound to drive the song and I also compressed it differently at the end... I like how it turned out... I guess what I'm saying is that I'm always learning around here :D

Nice man. Sorry I didn't post sooner haven't been home much. I love that groove with the bass. Vocals sound good, alot of energy. I like the chorus (about 1:20) alot, flows real nice. This is way too cool man, i like this alot. Sorry i don't have more comments but ive listened a few times and im sure ill listen more. Sounds like alot of fun like usual with you. Great tune.

take care
gary

That's a blast... incredible vocal and arrangement. Hot guitar work. Great brass bits and drum sound ...the drums maybe could be sync'd up a tad in a couple spots. I'd use a little less limiting (might be the Soundclick compression) and reduce the high mid's of the vox a touch.

Tim

Hey thanks a lot Tim and Gary, I appreciate the listens and comments :)

Gary, thanks, glad you enjoy the groove... this song was a ton of fun to record and I think one of my favorites yet to play. I like how it turned out and might mess around with some more stuff like this soon, keep the funk rollin :cool: Maybe expand on the horn stuff and so on...

Tim, thanks for the kind words. I'll mess around with the upper mids on the vox. I know the least about mixing vocals, so any tips help. Also, I'm not sure about the compression/limiting, I tried some new things with this track and really like the way it sounds on CD burned at 320kB or the wav file, I think the 128kb soundclick file noticably loses some of the quality, so maybe that's what you're hearing, maybe not.

Cheers guys ;)

Bam slam!

Love it, one of my favorites you've done :)
ultra funky 80s snake shake! The riff is there, drives the funk like a drunk monk. (that's a compliment) The riffs are cool!
Yeah, what effects are you running in that 80s car chase scene, I love em, and something sounds differet :confused: :confused:
I looooove the 3:21 part, intense! Awesome song, keep playing because this is fun to listen to! We should redo, "Chicago Gangster Legend" this song has a similar feel :)
Only negative is that I'd bring up the ______ in the mix :rolleyes:

Dolphin_Babe said:
Love it, one of my favorites you've done :)
ultra funky 80s snake shake! The riff is there, drives the funk like a drunk monk. (that's a compliment) The riffs are cool!
Yeah, what effects are you running in that 80s car chase scene, I love em, and something sounds differet :confused: :confused:
I looooove the 3:21 part, intense! Awesome song, keep playing because this is fun to listen to! We should redo, "Chicago Gangster Legend" this song has a similar feel :)
Only negative is that I'd bring up the ______ in the mix :rolleyes:

Okay, I'll get right on adjusting the ______ tomorrow, can't believe I missed that :p
Thanks a lot though, glad you liked it that much. I'd like to go back to the snake roots more and do some more funky stuff, like I'm down for the CGL redo :D
For the solo, I usually do heavy wah pedal on the guitar, but this time I plugged the bass guitar into the wah pedal and unloaded. For some of the sections there I had one of the rhythm guitars running through the phaser too.
Thanks D :)

that;s got to be classed as "something completely different" and with giving no detail to my thought I'll say.......

Had it on repeat about 6 time now and I hear more each time!

When grow up I wanna mix just like you.

If anything you're afraid of your own voice and half drown it in reverb but come on...this is more worthy than anything Happy Mondays, Black Grape, Flowered Up or The Charlatans ever done.

Glimpses of genius, glimpses of hiding!

Your vocals need EQ to take away the harsh edges, then you won't feel so bad about bringin them more up front. I LOVE YOUR BASS SOUND and wanna know how you got that. The 2 buss compression kinda kills it A LOT. T-Racks or PSP Vintage warmer on the 2 buss?

I actually wanna remix this just for shits n giggles, the bass is amazing. What's the chances?

LemonTree said:
that;s got to be classed as "something completely different" and with giving no detail to my thought I'll say.......

Had it on repeat about 6 time now and I hear more each time!

When grow up I wanna mix just like you.

If anything you're afraid of your own voice and half drown it in reverb but come on...this is more worthy than anything Happy Mondays, Black Grape, Flowered Up or The Charlatans ever done.

Glimpses of genius, glimpses of hiding!

Your vocals need EQ to take away the harsh edges, then you won't feel so bad about bringin them more up front. I LOVE YOUR BASS SOUND and wanna know how you got that. The 2 buss compression kinda kills it A LOT. T-Racks or PSP Vintage warmer on the 2 buss?

I actually wanna remix this just for shits n giggles, the bass is amazing. What's the chances?

Haha, man I've seen your gear list and have heard some of your mixes so I respect your opinion pretty good. If I posted my gear list you'd probably be on the floor laughing :D Really though I know I can't do too much with what I have, but I'm having fun with it, and you can still feel free to give details of what you hear because it'll only help. And if you'd like to remix this for the shits n giggles, be my guest... I'm curious.. I'd send you all the original tracks unmodified if you like and give you all the recording details.

Thanks for the listen and comments ;) Let me know if you're up for that remix, I'd like to hear what you could do with this...

Last edited:
Back