70's Classic Rock tune.

Peter Pavlonis

I'm curious to hear if anyone wants to share how this sounds on their system. All I have to mix on is Mackie CR4s right now. Hope you enjoy !

Attachments

• Shine On Mp3.mp3
    8.7 MB · Views: 434
The mix sounds clear, but to me, the vocals are too loud - actually, I would bring snare, vocals and guitars down. The song would sound more cohesive.

I agree with BT. Also the drum treatment doesn't sound particularly 70's. The backing vox are pretty good though, some good moments in there

I'd start by cutting the kick at 1kHz (1 octave, 6dB or more), boosting it at 3kHz (1 octave, 6dB or so) and boosting the bass at 1kHz (2 octave, 6dB).

So thanks for all the help,

I re-mixed: cut the lead vocal 2db, cut the snare 1db.
Raised the piano 2db, there are 2 basses, I raised the continuous bass 2db plus added 6db of 1k as was suggested. (Cut the kick at 1k) I raised the hi gain bass 2db.
Overall mix is tighter.

I love the way a Band like say Weezer sounds very full and saturated, but I was going for something different.

New Mix:

Attachments

• Shine On Mp3.mp3
    8.6 MB · Views: 17
I would probably shelf down the bass (continuous bass?) a few dB from 100-120Hz. But I think the second mix does sound better.

I would probably shelf down the bass (continuous bass?) a few dB from 100-120Hz. But I think the second mix does sound better.

Thanks, its hard to tell if its booming on these little speakers. I checked on headphones and thought the bottom was about maxed, so I could bring it down a hair. Thanks for the bass & kick tips I thought that really helped.

I am listening on Audio Technica ATH-M70X straight from the computer....The guitars are too loud IMO....Left side especially. could use a tad more bottom on the left guitar a little to shrieky.

Jamming tune though....Everything else sits fine

So thanks for all the help,

I re-mixed: cut the lead vocal 2db, cut the snare 1db.
Raised the piano 2db, there are 2 basses, I raised the continuous bass 2db plus added 6db of 1k as was suggested. (Cut the kick at 1k) I raised the hi gain bass 2db.
Overall mix is tighter.

I love the way a Band like say Weezer sounds very full and saturated, but I was going for something different.

New Mix:

Hi.
I much better mix. (I listen to both version on my TV, so....)

-einar-

i really like the bass part and the vocals. I like the sONG. The guitars call attention to them selves cause of the sheer volume, panning, and the rhythm devices need to be boosted in my opinion. If they sound good present in the mix that will be good Right now it seems like the distorted guitars ARE the song for the reasons I stated. Whereas the vocals should have the most credence in the mix. The words are good, the vocals are good and I'm not saying the guitars are bad parts, the parts are good, it's just not gelling. Overall all the song needs is balance, you seem to have some nice parts recorded.

i really like the bass part and the vocals. I like the sONG. The guitars call attention to them selves cause of the sheer volume, panning, and the rhythm devices need to be boosted in my opinion. If they sound good present in the mix that will be good Right now it seems like the distorted guitars ARE the song for the reasons I stated. Whereas the vocals should have the most credence in the mix. The words are good, the vocals are good and I'm not saying the guitars are bad parts, the parts are good, it's just not gelling. Overall all the song needs is balance, you seem to have some nice parts recorded.

Thanks for the listen. Appreciate the feedback.

I know its strange these days to have a single guitar track so loud, but listen to the beginning of this retro mix.

YouTube

Back