5th post in the clinic

alexspetty

here is a new one:

its about when i was younger, touring around north america in a van with my band.... hoping to make it big. :)

-alex

I just wanted to let you know I tried a couple of times to download your song. But your site is so slow I had to give up.

Alex,
Estimated download time was just under 2 hours. I could drive to Warrenton and pick it up. Just thought I'd let you know, something ain't quite right. I'll try later.

bd

Whoa, getting 15 KB/sec..Not fast but..uh oh! It's slowing down but still downloading. I think I'll bag this at work and download with cable modem tonight!

i think i know whats happening..

my server (at my house) is connected to the rest of the world via a wireless 802.11 hop to a LOS microwave array on a nearby water tower.

since it snowing today, the bandwidth is hurting...

sorry.. :(

it should be better after it is done snowing... i need to get an amplifier for my transmitter so i can blast through the snow flakes!!

-alex

Hey Alex,
Yeah it's slow, but it was well worth it. I just let it download while doing some other stuff, and I forgot all about it. All of a sudden it started playing, and I was glad I waited. Your tunes are really starting to grow on me. This song has what I call a good "blend". I don't hear things sticking out in an obnoxious way, yet all the instruments are quite easy to make out. I liked it very much!

Twist

Man! Your stuff is really good! I love that acoustic sound. Nice harmonies. Man this is top notch!! I'm sorry to be gushing, but WOW!! You're the dude who used to live in Lockport! Great idea to play an acoustic for the solo....and what a great solo. You're a real talented dude. Very nice! I still want to know how you record your drums. Man they sound great. I'm gushing again.

must have stopped snowing!

I really like the guitar solo! Background vocals sit perfect in the mix. Drums sound very nice as well. Perfect in fact. As does the guitar. Everything sounds actually just right except.......

What's up with the 'we were waiting'? Did you mean it to come out that nasal? It sounds really nasal.

It's just my opinion but your voice sounds much better when you get more resonance out of it like at 1:31 "I can't take it anyMORE" than the nasal stuff at 1:41ish "the place I am is HERE".

Just something to think about. I think you have a great voice, just slips into nasal a bit too often for my taste.

cool tune. i still listen to your first post.

This is a good tune.I listened to it the other day on your website.I listened to pretty much everything you have on your site in one day....over 3 albums worth of stuff...I think there are links to more music but havent made it that far yet.LOL....I agree with erichenryus...the voice does get a little too nasaly at times but that in itself is a "style" of singing that I've heard before in popular music,so it's not forbidden.:D....I do enjoy your voice more when it stays out of that nasaly range though.......just personal preference of course.

You guys write some good tunes with even better hooks.radio ready stuff for the most part.Im singing along to most of them by the second chorus.

Holy cats you guys...I can't keep up with all of you. I ease back for a couple days and Alex goes from post #2 to post #5 :eek:

I'll try to catch up with this one and other when I can.

Sheessh :D

Sydfan said:
You're the dude who used to live in Lockport!
Actually, I'm the dude who used to live in Lockport, and my stuff isn't nearly this good.. unfortunately. :p

Over-all,... the tune sounded good. I will say that I think your acoustic sound (and therefore, the overall sound of your productions) would drastically improve if you didn't record it direct.

I like the vocals... I agree they sound nasally at times, but I reckon that's your style, so no use changin' it.

I dig that guy's snare... he does some nifty little subtle buzz-rolls throughout the song.

Interesting modulation too...

WATYF

Last edited:
Damn,
Just yesterday I burned a cd of your music, and now I have to do another one.
Love the harmonies especially toward the end.
Mix is up to your normal standard.
Sounds like a re-take of "mask", only completely changed around.
Once again, I can't think of anything negative. Great work.

bd

I liked the guitar sound. Real warm. Cool bass run at 1:06. Harmonies are real smooth and tight. Interesting harmonies in the outro. Nice drums, especially the snare. Nice guitar solo. Played and recorded real well.

Maybe a little overboard on the "feeling" in the vocals??? Kind of average lyrically. I could get REAL picky and say the harmonies were a bit out of sync at 3:35 - but again, that's real picky.

Very nice tune man, I like it.......the "so high" part sounds so good. Very nice harmony. This one is worth a listen

Really nice tune Alex,sweet guitars.
How did you record them?

Vocals sound great,nice full harmonies.
I dig the little harmonic on the bass at 1:08,cool touch.

The only thing I thought was lacking was the lead guitar sound.
A little thin compared to the other guitars.

Did you double the rythym guitars,that always happens to me with the lead,can't double it.:)

Finely written tune,very clean mix.
I enjoyed it,thanks,
Pete

muzeman: no doubled guitars. the guitar i solo'd with was an ovation, the others were taylors... there in lies the difference i think. in general all guitars were recorded through a swr acoutic pre as well as being ambiently mic'd with a condenser.

ledmech: thanks for diggin on the harmonies... i love huge vocals.. i do it where ever i think i can get away with it.

triplem: i know what you mean about the overexuberant quality in the lead vocal.. it just came out that way for some reason. oh well. it doesnt sound horrible or anything.. just a little breathy perhaps. god ear.. nice comment.

bdbdbuck: you caught that little "mask" reference in the second verse eh? very astute! anyone who wants to hear the tune mask check out: https://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?threadid=78166

watyf: i have heard the criticsm that my voice has an "over-nasaly" quality before. some like it, some dont... not much i can do about it.. its sort of my style i guess :)

jagular: yeah... i posted a few already prepared tunes.. thats how i could do it so fast. :) in general, the feedback ive received from the community here has been very instructive and useful. i thank everyone for that.

kramer: thanks for listening to all those tunes on the web kramer. i am glad to hear that you enjoyed it! its great, in our modern times, to be able to produce fairly high quality audio from home and share our music with anyone who will listen... i dig technology! as for your radio point.. its really hard to get on the radio.. ive been able to get some stuff on here and there over the years.. but its a lot of work. dont we all wish we could get our stuff in the mass media! oh well...

erichenryus: again... its just the way my voice sounds... sometimes it gets a bit nasaly. but.. i dont mind it. maybe it will grow on you. :)

sydfan: i didnt live in rockport.. i live in warrenton, va (and before that annapolis, md) thanks a lot for your kind words!! i really appreciate them.

twist: sorry for the download time... i think my server was being effected by the snow storm that was occuring that day. i am glad you found the tune to be worth that wait!!

thanks again everyone for you comments.. ill be posting some brand new stuff that i am working on soon... i look forward as always to everyones reviews and comments...
you guys are awesome..

-alex

Hey man...I listened to this to this awhile ago and must have gotten too caught up in the song to reply, lol.

There's nothing about this that I don't love. (through the double negative, it's a compliment).

I should read this thread to find out how you're getting the bass tone. I have an electric bass, but I've been using an acoustic guitar with an SM58 practically INSIDE the guitar lately, so that'll tell you how desperate I am to achieve some decent definition on the bass.

Anyway, very nice all the way around. How long have you been recording?

Back