50's-ish Indie Rock Clip - Suggestions?

G3ekRock

Hey, so I've been working on this song I've written for a few days now, and I think I've got it sounding pretty good. The vocals are going to be redone and some lead added, but take a listen and tell me what you think. I'm definitely open to suggestions. I think it might be a little bass heavy and I'm not sure what to notch to the get the vocals to sit better.

Here's a clip of the first verse and chorus

Reminds me of Weezer. seems like vocals are way up and drums are way low and a lot of guitar. Now I have to go and listen to Weezer, see what ya did to me... :)

Junplugged: Thanks for the feedback, I'll take the guitar and vocals down and raise the drums a bit. Do you think all the drums are quiet or what? like specifically the kick and the snare? Also, how would you suggest I notch or eq the instruments to get the vocals to "sit" better.

And, yeah, I was going for a Weezer feel, so thanks if that's what I've accomplished. And HEY, listening to Weezer is NEVER a bad thing, in fact, you should check out Ozma (ozmaonline.com). They're an amazing melodic rock band...too bad they broke up on July 23rd...my birthday. I got to see them 10 days before in OKC.

Anyone else?

sounded like you have a couple of wanadie albums in your collection there dude...sounded good apart from the vox were a tad off at the beggining but thats on the next take right!

Yes, I agree the vox are too loud. I thought I heard a couple of intonation issues too, but as you say you'll be redoing them. EQing is not the only way to get the parts to stop treading on each others toes - there is also panning and using different levels of things like reverb and delay to get the parts to sit "closer" or "farther" from the listener. "Notching" is really for very specific points where two sounds mask each other, like kick drum and bass for example.

You definitely got that feel you were going for - bobby sox and school proms :)

BTW, I really like "Suzanne" and the sweater song. "Hash Pipe," didn't do it for me. I just looked at their web site, it's huge.

I wasnt liking how the guitar in the verse was more to one side.
made the mix feel a bit lopsided to me.
Vox should come down a bit.
Snare all but dissapeared during the chorus.
Add more compression to it, or
manually fade it up during the chorus.

hey guys, thanks for the comments. Right now I've got the guitars (2 tracks) panned pretty heavy left and right. Yeah, i've noticed too that when both tracks are in full effect it's a little heavy on the right. I'll fix that. Do you suggest bringing both tracks back in a little closer to center?

I've got the snare a little to the right, the hats a tad to the left, the crash is slightly stereo delayed and widened, the kick, bass and main vox all in the center. Back up vox just a smidge to the right. The toms are 1 to the left, 2 center, and 3 to the right.

I'm working on the lead parts and re-tracking the vox parts. I'm really working hard on this one because it's the first song I've actually written and recorded in a while and it's sounding pretty good (at least I think). At least it's not another cover. :)

Quick side note: I'm really glad I found this board. You guys are all awesome and I've been listening to some great (and not so great) tracks here. Good mix of styles and material. Thanks!

Back