3Partharmony advice on eq\levels\panning

PapillonIrl

This is the raw recording of a song by myself and a friend called 'Last Chance Saloon' I'd like to hear some advice on levels\eq\panning, I don't think it needs much in the way of effects or compression but correct me if I'm wrong.

First of all, you didn't post the link to the song...

Soooo, I went to your website and it wasn't there.

I didn't bother to listen to the 2 songs that were there because it doesn't allow you to listen unless you save them to a file.

Too many hoops to jump through for me.

Make your songs as easily accessible as possible.... you'll get ten times as many listens that way.

Buck

Oops Sorry folks...thanks for pointing this out Buck. I tried to attach the file with my message, I thought you could do it that way. This song was on an FTP site donated by a member of a different forum, but I just tried to go there the music sharing folder seems to be gone. Any kind souls got any space on an FTP site they'd like to share for a while ? Save all this pointy clicky waity stuff ?

Anyway thanks for the interest Buck, I'll get it up soon some way.

Sorted...thanks J.

I am going to be spending a good bit of time on projects with this guy in the future, alot of the songs will have alot of harmony work so any advice will go a long way.

Thanks,

Pap.

First of all, the song is really good... well played and performed! :)

As for the recording, I felt that the the acoustic guitar needed to come up a bit in volume and it needed more low-end and less reverb.
The lead vocal had less reverb, so it would be okay to add some reverb to match it accordingly with the acoustic guitar.
Either way would work, just make them sound more "together".
I would suggest plate-reverb for the vocals and small-room reverb for the acoustic guitar.
You finally got that nice (acoustic) bottom during the instrumental part at 2:13....especially on those sweet notes at 2:30.
In other words, get the main acoustic track to have that silky-sweet sound like the lead part, and make the lead part brighter and punchier.
A good example of this would be the song "To Be With You" by Mr. Big.... listen to the acoustic solo in that song and you'll hear what I mean.
Really good vocals and harmonies throughout. Try that plate-reverb and see if that helps.

Buck

Thanks a lot for the compliments and advice.

I think the interplay between the main vocal and the main acoustic picking is what made the song work for me initially in the room, and the harmony expanded on that. I think you're right on the button with your suggestion of getting the main acoustic/vocal part sounding close reverb and tone wise - I'm going to try and acheive this and post the results.

Thanks again.

Pap.:)

Back