37.5 sings (screams?)

37point5

Hey all,

Here's a new one, as promised, with vocals. It's at http://mp3.com/37point5/ and is called "Say a Prayer". Mic used was an EV 257B, going through a Behringer mixer. Thought the quality of the vocals (if not the performance) turned out rather well. The cymbals are real, while the bass and snare drums are sampled. The bass guitar is off of the GR-30 guitar synth. Everything else is completely natural. Oh, except for some bits in the guitar solo, which were mucked around with for cool effect.

Any comments on either the mix, the composition, or the performance? Questions? You guys always have great stuff to say, so I'd love to hear anything and everything your ears and minds come up with.

Ryan

I've listened several times in headphones and on my monitors and it sounded great in both places. Especially satisfying was the transition from the quiet(er) to loud mix that occurred when (@1:06) the lyrics went, "My whole world is (scronk!) falling apart."
Well done!
The vocals work all the way through (quality AND performance). The tune sounds like something Toto would be happy to record. The bass was credible.

Thanks Doc, your compliments mean a lot. It was with a certain amount of dread that I posted this song, since I've always been rather self-conscious of my voice, as I think I mentioned in an earlier post. Glad it sounded okay to someone else, though, since I'll be damned if I'm able to be objective about it anymore.

Thanks also for the Toto reference. I love those guys (I'm gonna get shit for that, I bet)! Although, I have to admit that when I was doing this, I had in mind a cross between Journey and Foo Fighters; kinda '80s power ballad meets grunge rock.

As far as the mix goes, for some reason this one was a lot easier than the others I've done, although I'd like to hope that's just because I'm getting better at mixing ;)

Ryan

37.5:

I checked out your song and it's pretty damn good. I like your voice; it has a Gene Simmons quality to it. The mix is very good. The bass and drums are really tight and, combined with the rythym guitar, drive the song along well. Personal preference: I might have a tad more volume on the bass and drums but that's from a pretty subjective standpoint.

Oh yeah, I didn't know Dorothy's dog recorded.

dmc

Back