31 Miles

I liked the general vibe. Some of the lead work was pretty cool - I liked the style.

The song, to me, is definitely a bed for a rock song. It's not a song on it's own. That's another way of saying I think you need a vocal arrangement.

The rhythm guitar sounds OK, but needs more low end power. It's a little on the thin side. It's got a nice level of distortion to it though.

The bass and drums need a TON more power. This is the kind of song that should blow the listener out of their seat. And the energy and power from the rhythm section to do that is just not there.

vocals

I'm waiting for the singer to come over to lay down the vocals, which may be a week or two since he lives about an hour and a half away and we work different shifts.

You think the guitars should have more low end huh? I rolled off a little of the lows and hi's with the eq, I'll go back and check to see what changing the sound for more low end will get me. The drums are from the drum machine, I haven't settled on a comfortable sound with the drum machine yet. When you say the bass and drums need more power, do you mean volume? Thanks for the input by the way, this is the third song i've mixed so far, and I can use all the advice I can get.

Radiohead0709 said:
When you say the bass and drums need more power, do you mean volume?

It may end up being as simple as moving a fader up. But I was thinking you needed some EQ boosts in the lower register. On the bass, I'd look for a good spot between 100-130hz. Maybe a little lower, but not much. Then, so you don't eat up headroom, you might want to find a spot (or two) in the 250-500hz octave to cut. And cut even by as much as 6db. That will get some mud and cloudiness out of it, allowing you to boost it without crap-i-fying the whole mix. A little boost somewhere around 800-1000 might give the attack more "umph" too.

These are just suggestions - use your ears.

For the drums, they're samples so I'd look for other samples.

Simphony of Insects eh? I'm expect lots of insect SFX here, all vox by insects. Now wouldn't that rule :p Well on to the song, very groovy rhythm you having going there. Love the guitar work. I hear this really rocking with some solid drums. I think I might have a good drum recording that fits right in with this beat, I'll private message it to you and maybe you'll like it. Cheers to groovy music ;)

Back