30 Down

SheBlondeSwede

Hey All...

I've been reading around here for a really long time now, and I learn something new every single time. I love this board. But I'm not quite at the level to give advice, so I haven't posted yet.

However, I was hoping some of you could give me some input on this new recording for my band, She Blonde Swede.

Any mix tips would be greatly appreciated. In particular, the acoustic guitar sound, and the EQ on the drums. Any ideas to give this song a little bit more oomph?

Thanks in Advance,
.pete.

ps - the song can be downloaded off of the main page at http://www.sheblondeswede.com.

I like that song a lot. Parts of it kinda' remind me of Elvis Costello, so I hope you don't hate him, lol.

I don't like what happens in the chorus, but I'm in "vague" mode right now. Something about the guitars and drums just seems abrasive instead of big...but that's as well as I can describe it right now, because I just got out of jail this morning. (funny story there)

Perhaps some of my less felonious BBS buds will help you more. I really liked the tune.

-The Jailbird

chrisharris said:
I like that song a lot. Parts of it kinda' remind me of Elvis Costello, so I hope you don't hate him, lol.

I don't like what happens in the chorus, but I'm in "vague" mode right now. Something about the guitars and drums just seems abrasive instead of big...but that's as well as I can describe it right now, because I just got out of jail this morning. (funny story there)

Perhaps some of my less felonious BBS buds will help you more. I really liked the tune.

-The Jailbird

Oh i have to hear this one!!!!!!!!!!!! CAVE??? i'm on the edge of my seat!!:D

sorry......i'm downloading the song now, be back shortly!!

Co0l tune!!!!!!!! Worth remixing!! or retracking?? First...the BASS,
need's compression, it's real hot in the first verse, lost in the chorus, sound's lower but still hot in the rest. Its all over the place level wise. drum's.........kick is M.I.A. .......lacking ass, there's something weird happening with the snare??? some kinda chorus effect?? it needs to be centered, its in both ear's but not in the middle??? i can't pin point it? the same goes for the cymbals. put the snare in the middle and try a boost @250hz for some body. i like the acoustic sound!! the electric's are thin, beef them up and try to double it(pan off to either side, the snare and electric git's should trade place's) i really like your voice(your voice??) I think there maybe to much verb in use, but i think that one can be preference....again compression, level's are wavering a little to much. Whole mix lack's bottom(especially the chorus)

again, i really dig the tune!!!!! and we are all here to learn, i fight all these problem's in my mix's to!! And im really not the one to give you advice:D but when i get to a tune before most people, i really try to post what i hear before the "good" ear's get to it, just to see if i was close!!:D I'm in training!!

and yeah, Elvis Costello would be proud!!!!!!:D

Thank's man!!

Peace

Rick

I like it a lot...definitely my style of music.

I have to listen again tomorrow with some fresher ears...I'm exhausted tonight. Time for bed...

Thanks for posting the tune.

Wow!! You guys don't know how much you've lifted my spirits. I wasn't expecting much of a response at all, much less a good one... thanks!!

First... it's crazy how people can tell your influences right off the bat like that. Yep, I'm a monster Elvis Costello fan. Though I've never thought I was anywhere in the same galaxy as him in regards to songwriting. That's one of the best compliments I've ever gotten!

Next... haha.... Jail in Texas?!?! awesome!! where at? I was in jail in Texas once. Wasn't that bad. (not that i can actually compare it to any other jails.) I was supposed to do a side stage show for James Taylor in San Antonio with my buddy Jason Mraz, and we never made it. That was a downer...

More... rick... thanks for all the comments. makes me wish i had an actual "home" studio, so i could try it now. the stuff i use at home is a joke. i've printed out your post so i can take it in tomorrow and play with your ideas. thanks!!
The snare is such a bitch. That's a straight signal, no effects, and it just sounds weird-ass, eh? The strange thing is, the drums are all centered, with the exception of two overhead neumanns that are hard panned to their positions in the room, but they're barely in the mix. i'll have to play with the drums a lot more, i guess.
i'm definitely going to try doubling the electric parts. (well, not me, my other guitarist, as that's him...) I think that's really going to help a lot.
along with ass-loads of compression on the vocals and bass. and yeah, that's my voice, thanks for the compliment!! it's another rare one. i love you guys!! haha...

so yeah, thanks for all the comments, and more are ALWAYS welcome. Nice to find people that can comment on the song AND the recording.

.pete.

ps - this is a really long post, sorry if it's annoying!!

I thought it was a pretty good song. I like your band name too (though I was expecting pictures of hot blond swedish women on your site). I liked all the different guitar sounds. Good guitar parts too - fit the song well.

Is there a little pitchiness in some vocals? Not positive, maybe that's the way it's supposed to be. But as an example, the lyric at :20, on the "M" in "3AM"... or the word "fun" at 2:01... Seem a little sharp? Some syncing issues with the harmony vox - e.g., "sharkskin suit" at 1:11. Real small, but should probably be fixed.

Some vocals at the end of phrases get too soft. Maybe retrack or compress harder.

Some good lines - "watching SportsCenter in a jogging suit" was cool. But the "supplies are running out" stuff was used by Smashmouth right?

Oh no!Chorus on the vocals?Overcompressed.Not abad guitar recording,the drums are almost unbearable in the louder parts.Reminds me of Petty.Go to the first page do not pass go go directly to the 1st page....

okay, first... m... thanks for the input, man... yeah, the vocals are being re-tracked next week some time. that was already in my mind. i didn't really say anything about quality of performance or mix in the first place, so i could get these little tips on things... thanks. i really do appreciate the more precise helpful tips, as opposed to "you suck, learn to do it right..." (see below.)

now... wisc... for someone so incredibly cocky, you'd almost expect to be right, huh? shame... well, there's absolutely no chorus anywhere in the entire song. there's also not one iota of compression anywhere at all. the drums do sound like shit. that's why i asked in the first place what i could do to help with the drums. i never said i was any good at recording at all... just looking for some help. so... umm... thanks? i don't know what exactly to say. but i do appreciate you listening to the tune.

thanks to all for your help.

.pete.

The mix has been addressedby the others so I'll just say this is an excellent tune.Well written and sung.Chris is a genius with his comparisons.LOL.Definetly hear an Elvis Costello influence...I hear more of a Joe Jackson influence myself.....remember "Is She Really Going Out With Him? " ?..........kinda has that feel to it.

Enjoyed it man.

thanks for your input, Kramer. This board is so great cause people actually listen to the songs people post. amazing... but yeah, i used to listen to a bit of Joe Jackson, also.

i appreciate everyone's comments and input, and i'm really looking forward to going in next Tuesday and playing around with this song a lot more. I hope to post another one next week, too, after i re-track the vocals, as i was really sick when we recorded it, but i like the mix a lot on it. However, like everything when you're starting out like me, it needs work, and i look forward to seeing what people can help me with on that mix, too.

thanks again,
.pete.

Back