3 country songs, recorded live

Track 1: Vocals seemed obscured. I think just turning them up a bit will help. Bass is a little overwhelming in the lows and has no definition. I think it's helping obscure the vocals. Snare rolls come in a little hot and seem bright/clear relative to other parts of the mix. Kick also lacks definition but seems low and lacking in bottom end.

Track 2: Vocals still obscured a little and the bass has the same overwhelming LF thing, but not as bad.

Track 3: Busy arrangement. Everything competes with the vocal.

Whatever is going on with the bass seems to be the same across all the tracks. It sounds like a cut right around 100Hz would address the problem.

I would also spend time finding some definition in the kick. I want to hear it keep up with the snare and support the 1s and 3s better.

Thanks for the listen.
I'm definitely struggling with the low end definition on these. The guy had a small kick with a lot of pillows. We used a Shure 91A microphone. It was one of those things where it sounds huge when you're recording but absolutely not when you're mixing it. Might have to sample replace it this time...
Lesson learned.

You get any tips on mixing double bass? It's intereseting how much more mid range it seems to have over an electric bass guitar.

Track 1 - I had to kick the volume up at the start and the bass was making my desk top vibrate! The kick sounds like a cardboard box with pillows. The guitars sound way back in the room. Around 2:30 it sounds like everyone kind of drifted off timing-wise for a second the mando or banjo and fiddle all kind of got muddled.

Track 2 0 had to turn the volume down to normal level. The bass is still overtaking everything.

Track 3 - agree with Boulder - there's so many instruments that the only definition of the actual music is the LF boomy bass and some of the accordian notes - guitar, mando, banjo whatever else is there is just muddled.

Knights of...sounds good - bass sounds like a tea chest thumper.
Voice & non bottom end stuff sounds very nice.

Back