2 Original Band Songs - Holy , Reno.

lackofcontrol

Hi Everyone

We recorded these songs and mixed them ourselves. We used our instincts as best as we could :) and It would be awesome if some of you folks could go over these 2 songs and critique the mixes!!. The master bus is dry for now , but it would be useful to hear what should be really brought out in the mix before the mastering process.
Drums were tracked live , all the other instruments were tracked at home and mixed in Logic.

Reno - https://soundcloud.com/lackofcontrol/rn_mixtry

Holy - https://soundcloud.com/lackofcontrol/rn_mixtry

Thanks!
-A

Reno sounds pretty good. I'd bring down the vocal by .5 db. I like more twangy bass tones. This one was very dark and subdued.

My biggest critique is that you posted the same link twice.

Small nits on Reno, snare is too far forward (barely). Little verb or little less volume. High hats are just a tad dull. Doesn't match up with the brightness of the ride. Brighten if that's to your taste. Bass tone needs some body...maybe just a touch of destruction. As is, it sounds just a bit over processed. There's a guitar that's way back in the verb toward the end. Sounds really nice there, but maybe just a touch less verb.
Really amazing song. Good performance. Sounds kind of pop-ish, but way too long for pop. :) Bit U2 meets John Lennon.

Both links go to the same song, but I figured it out.

Holy: Bass line is too familiar (well, that has nothing to do with the mix, but it seems it's taken from another song...Taxman?). Sounds very Beatle-esqe, but it should if you're using one of Sir Paul's lines .
Beginning is muddy. Some low mid cuts would help. Past that it sounds really nice.

I thought this was going to be a Silent Lucidity- Queensryche cover in the first few secs of listening. ;)

This is great, and I agree w/ Broken - it's bordering pop. Indie pop, if that's a thing. Who cares about genre though.
Great ambiance, and I actually thought the bass sounded good. Vocals need to come up in some spots. And I'd try some different verb settings for the vox. If it's sharing the guitar verb, it doesn't necessarily have to - you can bring the vox verb down a bit. At 5:30, it's sounding pretty Doors-y.

Back