2 new songs, please listen and give mix advice!

SittinIdol

Hey guys, it's been a long time since I've been on Homerec! Weird how time flies when you're writing, mixing and playing shows!

I have two new songs that I've done rough mixes on for my band, and I'm looking for some comments from fine professionals like yourselves. Please give them a listen and let me know how they sound!

Some info on the songs:
The drums were tracked in a professional studio (won studio time in a band wars contest)

Everything else was tracked at home (The same place we recorded our whole first album, see http://www.mp3.com/sittinidol to listen)

Ok, here are the songs:

Thanks a lot for listening!

check http://www.sittinidol.com for info on the band

I am not a pro, but I will give you my 2 consumer cents.

Guitar sound is a killer, so is the vocal. Definitely good job on those 2. But, the guitar overpowers the bass in a few spots that I can't hear the bass very well. The kick drum has a little too much "click" sound for my taste. But, that's just my taste.

Overall, this is definitely a good tune/mix, I will let the more qualified people to speak now :)

AL

Hey man, thanks for the tips! I have thought that a bit about the kick drum too.

Just for reference, what are you listening on?

Not much to say here. Great job! The only very tiny thing I might do is make the drums a little wetter. I think a bit more reverb might make them sit better in the mix. That's just my preference though. Maybe that's the sound you were after.

long time , no see.....whats it been, 6 months?.....yeah, ever since you came here begging everybody to vote for your band in that contest......

I feel that nausea starting up again:(

damn good song and recording, btw........

Overhaul:
- kick is not sitting in the mix well at all -- way too prominent, needs more thud and less level
- vocal is too thin and bright - some sibilance (too much EQ??)
- rhy guitar tone is good but would mix them slightly more aggressively
- stereo imaging on my drums is not my favorite, but is certainly acceptable

Forgotten Sun:
- much better balance overall than above
- would have gotten more depth from the bass

Good job!

Amateur here, and not a big metal fan, but I like anything with a guitar in it.

Kewl song. I have to say I like indie head banging stuff a lot more than mainstream. Nice tight song.

The drums kind of dominate the mix. IMO the whole thing, or maybe just the guitars, could use a hint of verb to add a bit of "meat".

"forgotten sun" was the tune I checked out.
btw, the mp3 fiename is forgottensun, but Zinf tells me the song title is overhaul.

Thanks for all the feedback everybody. I will definitely take all of these points to heart. Cheers!

Apologies for causing stomach ailments to Gidge in any shape or form.

lol, you are alright no matter what i say about you......:D

come around and see us more often......

MIKE

Believe me man, I'd love to! It seems like I barely have time to breathe (bathe?) these days with school, work, playing shows, trying to write songs, trying to get some recording done, etc. in fact i dont even have time for punctuation orspacesforthatmatter

Cheers
Rick

I haven't been out to any shows lately (been playing broke ass hurting hobo), you guys playing the usual circuit still?

W.

Hey Waldo!
We're playing metro tomorrow night (with Souljacker and lost dog - Shady's band), then at Forbes libations + Nosh on Feb 15. Metro again on Feb 28, Canmore on March 5...staying pretty busy I guess.
We're trying to get in on some festivals this summer.
Check out our website to keep up:
http://www.sittinidol.com

What's new in the wild world of Waldo?

I might visit you guys tomorrow seeing as it's no cover... They'll probably jack the price of the beer on me though ;)

What's new here... Not much really, still working on new ideas and applications for indies as often as I can, and trying to make a living doing my tech bit. Yeeeehaw...

W.

First off welcome back, I don't think I've seen you here before.

Sorry if I repeat the comments given, I make it a point not to read others comments until I listen to and comment on the music submission. I am listening to "overhaul"?
The lyrics are a bit cheesy for me, I think the guitar mix sounds killer. The cymbals seemed a bit seem a bit hot in the begining but that could have been the mp3... overall a cool, mellow heavy....sort of commercial, tight peice.

Well engineered.:D

Forgotten son.

Ummm...I'm getting a weird sound in the cymbals, actually they just sound recorded a bit hot.

I can't really judge this mix any deeper than this (mp3) not knowing.
The playing sounds near perfect to my untrained ear.

Sounds very pro.

Nice guitar and drum sounds.
I personally think the vocal is mixed too low and needs doubled to fatten it up a tad. Of course, that is just my opinion;)

overhaul

ditto on the kick drum comments. and sometimes the toms sound kind of dead for my taste.

what was that woodblock thing that he was playing? sounded out of place.

guitars sound really good as does the vocal.

erichenryus-Thanks for listening and posting your comments! I definitely have to do something about the kick, and I thought about maybe adding a bit more reverb to the toms to liven them up a bit. That woodblock thing, is a woodblock. Personally I like it, but it's just my taste I guess.

Cheers
Rick

Back