2 new songs to critique

moohead

I listen to "I Think of You"

The composition of the tune was pretty good but there are a few issues with the production of this tune that should probably be considered in terms of fixing it up a bit.

The is some pretty dramatic panning going on in this song. Many instruments come in either hard left or hard right. This was a popular method of mixing in 1964 but these days, many engineers make use of the pan control and place the various instruments somewhere in-between the left-right field to give a more cohesive presentation of the parts.

The vocals are a little rough around the edges both in eq, ( they're kinna raspy in the upper mids) bring that down a little around 4khz, a 2 db cut would help. Also a bit of compression on the vocal would help smooth out the dynamics.

Your sound overall is very bright and this might be due to less then perfect monitors for judging your sound. It could be that the speakers don't produce enough highs and you are over compensating for it by making everything sound on the shrill side.

There are other issues too but, I will let others here get in on the fun.

Thanks for sharing!

Cheers! :)

ps; listening to other people's stuff here and throwing a comment or two their way will entice them to check out your stuff too.

Welcome to the clinic.

I listened to "Think of You"...

I think the song structure/lyrics and arrangement are not too bad. I think this needs the most work on the production and performance side. A few comments...

- The fidelity of the drums is very tinny. This along with the distorted electric guitar (also tinny) are the biggest detriment to the track.
- The guitar solo's not too bad. great tone.
- I really like the "late at night and it's cold oustide" break that does a full pan left (and sounds like an AM radio). That part should be longer before the full mix kicks back in. Best part of the song, IMO.
- There does not appear to be a bass guitar in the arrangement. That guitar plucking 8th notes for the entire song could be the bass, I suppose. However, it sounds too high to be the bass. Anyway. that guitar should come down in the mix a bit. You could just have the bass guitar echo the same 8th notes and pan it a bit right.
- I would double-track the vocals during the "chorus". Just sing in unison and it will sound good.

Just my comments.
Hope that helps.
-Tim

http://www.VinylGoods.com

Thanks for comments

I 100% agree. How would I get a fuller sound out of drums and rhythm tracks? They are too thin, and they need body.

I want the song to sparkle, but not sizzle.

Any suggestions gladly accepted. I'm new to Sonar, so anything offered helps me learn.

Thanks,

Moo

Sorry Moo, but I can't help in terms of improving the sound with "Sonar". I'm not familiar with Sonar.

Personally, I use N-Track Studio. It's monstrously cheaper than Sonar and appears to do pretty much the same thing (at least it does everything I need). Here's a link to a simple song I recorded with N-Track Studio:

http://artists.mp3s.com/artist_song/2500/2500007.html

Anyway, regarding your issue with the sound of your drums and rhythm...most of those issues can be fixed with EQ and compression. Boost the mid-low end of your drums and guitar a tad.

Are you recording the drums live or is that a machine?
-Tim

Back