[2.0]Early stages new song

spantini

COO of me, inc.
See updated version XXXDemo3.wav 8-24-18

Would you all please give me some feedback on how this sounds through your monitor speakers - I'm on phones only here.

These are the first two tracks and may be scratched in the near future, but I'd like to know what it sounds like out there.

I'm just finishing up writing the bass part, you can hear it still needs a few touch-ups to clean up the performance.

When I get that worked out it's on to the drums.

Between :53 and 1:08 it slows - everything is supposed to take it slow there, but not actually slowing down... When the vocals are added that will come
up to match the rest of the song.

Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks.

Dropbox - XXXDemo2.wav

Last edited:
I don't like commenting on individual sounds. No one hears what your guitar sounds like by itself. It's how everything sits in the context of a full mix that's important. That scratchiness in your guitars may fully disappear with strings and vocals, or the mix might be so bare that it sticks out like a sore thumb.

Maybe others will have the type of response you're seeking. Sorry span

Yeah.. there was no attempt at mixing these - they're just raw tracks. Thanks for pointing out the scratchiness, I hear it too.

Strange thing to post up-guitar and bass. Not much to say really i think the guitar sound is great, and sounds like the foundation of a good song. As mentioned will have to hear everything at once to really make any real judgement. The guitar that sounds nice may be crowding vocals when they are added.

Strange thing to post up-guitar and bass. Not much to say really i think the guitar sound is great, and sounds like the foundation of a good song. As mentioned will have to hear everything at once to really make any real judgement. The guitar that sounds nice may be crowding vocals when they are added.

Ahh... thank you, [MENTION=13270]Stratomaster[/MENTION] ;) Thanks for confirming the guitar's sounding good. And that last bit about it possibly crowding the vocals will help later on. I can easily move the guitar a bit.

Still not mixed - and no processing. Just the amp sim stuff.

I tightened up the timing, retracked the rhythm and bass, then added a few small drum pieces just to mark some areas.
After the intro, the kick drum is used mainly as a metronome. The snare and a few cymbals are just there to smooth a
couple transitions as well as mark them for later expansion.

When I'm playing bass, I use a thin pick and am a hard picker so some lower notes on the E string tend to get a bit boomy.
Well, I evened out my picking as much as I could and that made a big difference. Still a couple of boomers got through, but
those can be worked out later - or I'll retrack.

I've sung the vocal over this about a dozen times (not tracking) and it fits almost perfectly, so maybe this weekend I'll get
a good vocal down and I can begin mixing.

Dropbox - XXXDemo3.wav

p.s. Upon listening to this over and over, I've noticed the D chord at the end of the intro (as well as other points) sounds very much like
a piano - which has started me thinking of adding a piano in a few spots like that. I'm not going to stop the production line just to do
yet another rewrite, but it's something to be considered at a later point in time.

Last edited:
I actually prefer the brighter guitar in the first version. You might find that sits easier in the mix when you add the rest of the instruments.
What interesting to me is your songwriting process. It's the opposite to the approach I take which is to get the drums down first. I've tried it your way a couple of times and it just never worked

I actually prefer the brighter guitar in the first version. You might find that sits easier in the mix when you add the rest of the instruments.

Thank you. Me too. I'm thinking.. brighten up the guitar and it will also let a bit more bass through, as well as vocal(s).

What interesting to me is your songwriting process. It's the opposite to the approach I take which is to get the drums down first. I've tried it your way a couple of times and it just never worked

I have most of the drums worked out in my head - I replay those while I'm recording the other instruments.

After writing most of the song in my head, I'll pick up my acoustic and work out all the finer details until I've got a finished,
stand-alone product. Then I'll finish writing the other parts, most of which are already at least halfway worked out in my head
already. Since I step edit all my drums, it's easier for me to add them last so I can get them exactly where they need to be.

Back