1st mix....Never the last....Help!

In case anyone ventures back in here, I put it back up. I tweaked it a bit. But the main reason I decided to leave it up is because putting it up in the first place is what allowed people to comment and open my eyes (and ears) to the fact that I was on automatic pilot. Maybe by leaving it up, I'll get another gem of advice that I wouldn't have got if I took it down.

POISON REMEDY

Heya, really like the tune. Good arrangement and the new lyrics work better. To my amatuer ears, everything sounds good except the vocals still sound a little thin. Not sure why, maybe cut off too much low end; doesn't sound like vocals are in the same space as the rest of the instruments. I don't know.

They also feel stripped of emotion, not quite conveying the message. I think you can sing it with a little more growl and desperation. :D

I wish I could put my finger on what's missing.

When you're done with it, I think it's going to be one of your best efforts. It's a great tune now, it's going to really rock.

Peace,

Rami,

It's rare that I enjoy listening to songs that are posted here.

Forgive me if I overstepped my bounds by taking your mp3 file and tweaking it a bit here and there.

A little mid cut, a bit of high boost and I can't remember what else I did.

To be fair......I'm listening on headphones......so my tweaks are as full of shit as I usually am. ;):D

Great song!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rami's Poison Remedy

Last edited:
I listened to this a couple of days ago and it didn't make much impression on me. Today after a couple more listens I 'know where it goes' and I'm really liking it. I can't offer any mix criticism - it sounds all clear on these headphones. Really good arrangement and great backing vocals. I've always preferred songs that take a few listens to get acquainted with, they kind of improve with age. This is one of those. Nice job

Heya, really like the tune. Good arrangement and the new lyrics work better. To my amatuer ears, everything sounds good except the vocals still sound a little thin. Not sure why, maybe cut off too much low end; doesn't sound like vocals are in the same space as the rest of the instruments. I don't know.

They also feel stripped of emotion, not quite conveying the message. I think you can sing it with a little more growl and desperation. :D

I wish I could put my finger on what's missing.

When you're done with it, I think it's going to be one of your best efforts. It's a great tune now, it's going to really rock.

Peace,
Thanx a lot, Chili. I'm going to re-track most of the tune, vocals included, and try to capture more emotion when I do. I didn't EQ my vocals differently than I do for any other tune, but that might be the problem as I mentioned before about doing things the same way just because it worked before. I think I just need to generally work on this a little more.

Rami,

It's rare that I enjoy listening to songs that are posted here.

Forgive me if I overstepped my bounds by taking your mp3 file and tweaking it a bit here and there.

A little mid cut, a bit of high boost and I can't remember what else I did.

To be fair......I'm listening on headphones......so my tweaks are as full of shit as I usually am. ;):D

Great song!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanx for taking the time, dude. I don't know, I've lost all perspective. Your mix seems thinned out to my ears. I feel as if the drums have lost all their balls, especially. But, like I said, I've lost perspective on this, so I may be way off.

Could you do me a favor, though. Just make your link a little smaller so people don't think it's the main version to listen to. It doesn't help me if I start getting critiques based on the mix you did, as opposed to mine. The only reason I took the tune down and then put it back up again was to see if I could get help on my mix, which nobody seems to like, probably with good reason. Yours might be even be better, but I kept the tune up, against my better judgement, so I could get more advice on my mix. It is interesting to hear it through someone else's ears, though. Thanx.

Last edited:
I listened to this a couple of days ago and it didn't make much impression on me. Today after a couple more listens I 'know where it goes' and I'm really liking it. I can't offer any mix criticism - it sounds all clear on these headphones. Really good arrangement and great backing vocals. I've always preferred songs that take a few listens to get acquainted with, they kind of improve with age. This is one of those. Nice job

Thanx Bull. Long time no see. Hope you're doing well.

I guess this tune just needs a better vocal performance and a little more TLC in the mixing stage. But I'm glad it grew on you a bit. Thanx, man.

Great tune......love the direction that its going in....the only thing that I might suggest is taking the vocals down an octave in the intro and try to build tension instead of it being there all at once.....just my 2 cents.....good work man!!

i listened to all three mixes. the last rami mix is the best. the vocals sound similar to weird al. i think the lyrics are too generic though, they dont really grab you.

Great tune......love the direction that its going in....the only thing that I might suggest is taking the vocals down an octave in the intro and try to build tension instead of it being there all at once.....just my 2 cents.....good work man!!
That's not a bad idea. In fact, I think it's a great idea. I'm going to try that. Thanx, brother.
i listened to all three mixes. the last rami mix is the best. the vocals sound similar to weird al. i think the lyrics are too generic though, they dont really grab you.

Thanx Jordan.

Sorry it took so long to get to this, but I've had 3 weeks from hell!!!!!

Vocals are incredible, but don't sound as up front as usual. Background vocals are incredible as usual, but again, I'd like to hear all of the vocals a tad higher. Love the lyrics, their definitely Rami. Drums sounds great. Are you still using only 3 mics? What's being mic'd? I forget.

Man, this is freaking GREAT, as usual and I'm starting to hate you. ;)

You are a machine!!!!!!!

Just bumping this, instead of starting a new thread. I re-did the drums and vocals and re-mixed it.

Listen again....or don't. That's up to you. :D I appreciate the comments I already got, which made me go back and work on it. :cool:

POISON REMEDY

It's sounding good, the guitars & harmonized vocals give it a bit of a Metallica sound, all is very tight and precise. All I can hear is that the drums are a bit too layed back for the rest of the tracks-they need to be given more space and volume. Everyone hears things differently though, and I'm listening on headphones, really a great job as it is!

It's sounding good, the guitars & harmonized vocals give it a bit of a Metallica sound, all is very tight and precise. All I can hear is that the drums are a bit too layed back for the rest of the tracks-they need to be given more space and volume. Everyone hears things differently though, and I'm listening on headphones, really a great job as it is!

Thanx alot, Anfontan. I'm glad you find the mix pretty good, overall. If the only problem's the drums, I have no problem turning them up, and/or giving them more room. I guess, being a drummer, I'm sometimes scared that I'm putting too much emphasis on them, which might lead me to over-compensate by not giving them enough.

Tahnx dude! :cool:

Hey Rami,

I remember listening to this originally on my wife's laptop in a hotel somewhere weeks ago and thought it sounded fine at the time, but there was a ton of feedback leading to the idea that it needed some work.

I think the vocal performance is really great on this. Nice harmonies.:)

Mix-wise, I hesitate to even take a stab at advice due to lack of experience but I hear more sibilance than I would expect on the vocals, and the guitars, while having a nice sort of grunt to them and being very clear, sound a bit mid-rangey to me. I dunno though, very well performed and certainly a cohesive mix with plenty of nice touches:).

Hey Rami,

I remember listening to this originally on my wife's laptop in a hotel somewhere weeks ago and thought it sounded fine at the time, but there was a ton of feedback leading to the idea that it needed some work.

I think the vocal performance is really great on this. Nice harmonies.:)

Mix-wise, I hesitate to even take a stab at advice due to lack of experience but I hear more sibilance than I would expect on the vocals, and the guitars, while having a nice sort of grunt to them and being very clear, sound a bit mid-rangey to me. I dunno though, very well performed and certainly a cohesive mix with plenty of nice touches:).

Thanx alot for your comments, Heatmiser. No such thing as "lack of experience" when it comes to talking about what you hear. Your opinion is as valid as anyone's. I'm going to check out the vocals and see if I can eliminate some of the sibilance.

I really appreciate you taking the time to listen again.

Back