1st major effort at a complete Garageband track; open for opinions and help

TheThingOfItIs

Here's "Manifest Destiny", attached as an mp3.

I'd tried recording this for years, mostly on an old TEAC 144. Finally I entered the digital age--but my favorite piano track for it was still the original 1987 one, which I edited/overdubbed. (Yeah, Jon Brion, I was "chasing the demo"!)

Still wrassling with the concepts of compression, EQ, and mastering--this sound pretty close to what was in my head, but I need some fresh ears! Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Manifest Destiny_TTOII.mp3
    8.4 MB · Views: 16
An interesting song, and marrying the old piano with new stuff is cool.

There is essence of Elton John about the whole piece which I like.

The drums sound a bit thin, and could be given more prominence.
At places the track goes into distortion, for example at 4.35.

I also thought it was a bit hot - possibly starting with levels too high and then letting GarageBand "maximize" the volume when you did the "Share?"

That's the one thing about GarageBand that's really annoying - it maximizes to a peak of 0.0dB, and you cannot change that. I'd suggest unchecking that option, and get comfortable using a compressor and limiter on the master track, followed by a YouLean loudness meter, so you can dial in a finished level that's within your control.

Liked the song, and how you got to resurrect that old piano track.

Thanks, guys--I did use an automated mastering system on this--perhaps that's what accounts for some of those anomalies. I'll look into the drum thing too, and will remaster on my own this next round. Will repost soon!

Cool melody and song...I like your voice, aside from the section at 3.35 where you get a bit lost. Like Gecko said, drums need some beefing up. Nice work.

Back