1st full mix for project... please comment.

formerlyfzfile

http://www.recordingproject.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?p=65199#65199

The set up is described on the link's thread.

I am pretty happy with the drum sound.

My Groove Tubes MD1-t's on overhead duty. :)
Kindaa wish I stuck with a 57 on snare instead of the M69 for a little more schnap to the snare sound but the high hat rejection with the M69 was a really good trade off.

Also used a little parallel compression on the drum sub mix (sans OH's).

Found out how to abuse that little trick on another tune.

I know my mixing room is not very flat so I had to do a lot of trial and error and I am having a hard time getting a handle on the low end.

I'll take any tips and critiques.

At this point unfortunately, retracking is not an option.

But I can re-mix til the cows come home.

-mike

I presume you're referring to the song 'Love4ever'. I quite liked it. It would be great to perform that live, I'm sure. The thing I liked the most was the sound of the guitars. You got a good tone with the lead, a nice reverb on the the rhythm and a solid tight sound on the bass. My favourite is the acoustic though.

The shortcomings I find are that it's a bit out of time. The tempo changes awkwardly between the soft and loud parts. That's not to say that the tempo should stay the same, but it could be executed more smoothly. The vocals are also out of tune. I don't know if the notes were pulled off tune intentionally, but I didn't like it. The song needs a big distorted guitar solo! :) Sorry, but being the guitar freak that I am, I probably would have told you that even before I heard your song! Overall, a good song. Not perfectly done, but unfortunately, I don't think it is up to the mixing to fix it.

Regards,
Jonathan.

I have to say I think you got a great sound on the drums but I have to agree the drum rolls are out of synch with the tempo of the song.....too fast.

Sounds like he's the focus of your group though.....

The lead sounds pretty good but it needs more body.....just kinda sits there..

Tracks sounds clean though.....nice job!

The vocals could be a bit more present imo. The guitars sound good apart from the intro solo which is just entirely the wrong tone. If you're going to do a little solo thing like that then at least do with a guitar and amp sound that has some sustain. The accoustic and piano solo is nice but comes as quite a bizarre shock to what went before. Still, it's nice to hear a track with a level of musicianship which isn't bog standard as so many of the songs on here are.

Also, there's a huge jump in the level between the end of the solos and the transition to a heavy guitar sound.

Back