Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: #1

Thanks

Wink

Sign in to disable this ad
    Well, here it is, my first post.

I don't really have great equipment so this is far from a 'good' recording.

My setup: I have a computer w/ SBLive card running Cake 9. A Fostex mic that I borrowed from a friend, and a really old Tascam 244 4-track recorder that I use for its preamps/mixer section, although the SBLive only has 2 outs (L R) so I have to mix using Cakewalk.

http://www.geocities.com/southbeach/6246/1.htm

Get "wait.mp3"

[This message has been edited by MrLip (edited 03-23-2000).]

Thanks

Smile

well, I downloaded about 15 seconds of it (slow modem, and i'm going to bed). So here's my review of the first 15 seconds:
    1. Less silence at the beginning, you made me waste 6 seconds of precious slow-download time. Just kidding, that ones my fault.
    2. The production sounded more then good, it sounded GREAT.
    3. I couldnt hear any access noise or anything.
    4. I liked the mix and the effects on the guitars.
    5. uhh...there is no 5.
    6. I surprised at the quality given the equipment.
    So yeah, overall the first 15 seconds sounded great! I'm sorry I didnt listen to more of it, but I'm about to pass out.
    -Nilbog

Thanks

Wink

Hey man, great sound! There is nothing wrong with this at all. If someone held a gun to my head and demanded a change, I might turn down the cymbol crash in the left ear...it's a little harsh sounding. Understand that I'm being extremely nitpicky here, it's perfect in my ears. You've got a great voice, you captured awesome performances. Way to go man!

Thanks

Wink

Wow, this is more positive than I was expecting. I don't have good monitors so often, my recordings will sound fine at home but when taken to someone else's stereo it no longer sounds so good. Glad to hear that it sounds decent on your systems as well.

Nilbog: you could tell all that from the first 15 seconds?! Good ears.

Sorry about the couple extra seconds of silence at the beginning before the fade-in.

CMiller: I'm surprised to hear that this song sounds so decent. Thanks for the feedback.

Thanks

Thumbs up

I'm blown away... mix, playing, vocals, arrangement all just so much better than anything I've ever done...helluva home demo, man...you should pitch that tune around...I loved Bangkok when I used to buy furniture/accessories...many years ago...didn't know about the music scene there tho...just worked and ate wonderful food and visited temples...made the open market in Chiangmai....gibs

Thanks

Wink

Sounds to me like the equiptment is fine, who's to say, if you can make a song sound this good. Very nice balance to the mix. Who played what? Man the music on this site gets better and better.

Thanks

Question

MrLip, I can't get that sucker to download. I'm on a T1 Lan at the moment. Do you have that MP3 sitting anywhere else? mp3.com? Sorry, I really want to hear it.

Thanks

Wink

Guys, thanks for the replies. It must be a fluke that I mixed it so well because my monitoring equipment is really substandard for audio recording/mixing. I out my sblive into a 10 year old Technics 100 watt receiver then into a pair of sony speakers that I stole off (not literally 'stole' of course heh) one of those sony mini-stereo systems (the type of stereo system that everyone has nowadays; those things that are in between a boombox and a component stereo system.)

I played the guitars and vocals, the drums were done in the staff view of cakewalk and the strings and bass I played on a keyboard (with the help of quantizing heh).

Gibs - how long ago were you here? How was the traffic then? The music scene over here is ... well.. frustrating. After the economic crisis a couple years ago none of the indie/underground companies survived so all that's left are the big major companies so right now everything is extremely lucrative. The only way to get an album out is to do teeny-bopper stuff. Kinda depressing in a way. Just sitting around waiting for things to change.

Teddie - sorry geocities is the only place I have to put it. I'm not yet registered on mp3.com. Try again later or another day, the day I was trying to upload wait.mp3 geocities was having some problems.

Cheers

Thanks

Thumbs up

In Thailand 1980...traffic was awful then, I imagine it's way worse now...fortunately my business partner had a driver with an AIR CONDITIONED car....luxury....I wonder if there's still a restaurant (ahem, Pat Pong area) that everybody called "The Boat"? It had grilled seafood that was the best I've ever had in my life....gibs

Thanks

Thumbs up

Great job! Nice mixing! I like the balance of acoustic and electric guitars. You've got a great voice, I would suggest a little less reverb on it, let it stand out!

Thread Information