MrLip

Well, here it is, my first post.

I don't really have great equipment so this is far from a 'good' recording.

My setup: I have a computer w/ SBLive card running Cake 9. A Fostex mic that I borrowed from a friend, and a really old Tascam 244 4-track recorder that I use for its preamps/mixer section, although the SBLive only has 2 outs (L R) so I have to mix using Cakewalk.

http://www.geocities.com/southbeach/6246/1.htm

Get "wait.mp3"

[This message has been edited by MrLip (edited 03-23-2000).]

well, I downloaded about 15 seconds of it (slow modem, and i'm going to bed). So here's my review of the first 15 seconds:
1. Less silence at the beginning, you made me waste 6 seconds of precious slow-download time. :) Just kidding, that ones my fault.
2. The production sounded more then good, it sounded GREAT.
3. I couldnt hear any access noise or anything.
4. I liked the mix and the effects on the guitars.
5. uhh...there is no 5.
6. I surprised at the quality given the equipment.
So yeah, overall the first 15 seconds sounded great! I'm sorry I didnt listen to more of it, but I'm about to pass out.
-Nilbog

Hey man, great sound! There is nothing wrong with this at all. If someone held a gun to my head and demanded a change, I might turn down the cymbol crash in the left ear...it's a little harsh sounding. Understand that I'm being extremely nitpicky here, it's perfect in my ears. You've got a great voice, you captured awesome performances. Way to go man!

Wow, this is more positive than I was expecting. I don't have good monitors so often, my recordings will sound fine at home but when taken to someone else's stereo it no longer sounds so good. Glad to hear that it sounds decent on your systems as well.

Nilbog: you could tell all that from the first 15 seconds?! Good ears.

Sorry about the couple extra seconds of silence at the beginning before the fade-in.

CMiller: I'm surprised to hear that this song sounds so decent. Thanks for the feedback.

I'm blown away... mix, playing, vocals, arrangement all just so much better than anything I've ever done...helluva home demo, man...you should pitch that tune around...I loved Bangkok when I used to buy furniture/accessories...many years ago...didn't know about the music scene there tho...just worked and ate wonderful food and visited temples...made the open market in Chiangmai....gibs

Sounds to me like the equiptment is fine, who's to say, if you can make a song sound this good. Very nice balance to the mix. Who played what? Man the music on this site gets better and better.

MrLip, I can't get that sucker to download. I'm on a T1 Lan at the moment. Do you have that MP3 sitting anywhere else? mp3.com? Sorry, I really want to hear it.

Guys, thanks for the replies. It must be a fluke that I mixed it so well because my monitoring equipment is really substandard for audio recording/mixing. I out my sblive into a 10 year old Technics 100 watt receiver then into a pair of sony speakers that I stole off (not literally 'stole' of course heh) one of those sony mini-stereo systems (the type of stereo system that everyone has nowadays; those things that are in between a boombox and a component stereo system.)

I played the guitars and vocals, the drums were done in the staff view of cakewalk and the strings and bass I played on a keyboard (with the help of quantizing heh).

Gibs - how long ago were you here? How was the traffic then? The music scene over here is ... well.. frustrating. After the economic crisis a couple years ago none of the indie/underground companies survived so all that's left are the big major companies so right now everything is extremely lucrative. The only way to get an album out is to do teeny-bopper stuff. Kinda depressing in a way. Just sitting around waiting for things to change.

Teddie - sorry geocities is the only place I have to put it. I'm not yet registered on mp3.com. Try again later or another day, the day I was trying to upload wait.mp3 geocities was having some problems.

Cheers

In Thailand 1980...traffic was awful then, I imagine it's way worse now...fortunately my business partner had a driver with an AIR CONDITIONED car....luxury....I wonder if there's still a restaurant (ahem, Pat Pong area) that everybody called "The Boat"? It had grilled seafood that was the best I've ever had in my life....gibs

Great job! Nice mixing! I like the balance of acoustic and electric guitars. You've got a great voice, I would suggest a little less reverb on it, let it stand out!

GREEEEAT Vocals! I thing the guitars were awesome too! :) You did an amazing mix for the monitoring system that you have. Yes that crash is a bit sharp in the left side of the mix.

MrLip:
Terrific is an understatement ! I don't care what you used . . the whole arrangement was great. The vocals were professional level and the lyrics are outstanding. Need I say more ?
Oh yeah . . . you do need to consider marketing this song.

Regards,
PAPicker

Man- that was the most creative masking of SoundGhastly noise on that reverse clip intro I've ever heard. It sounded just like a hi-res recording of my computer fan until it swelled into the recognizable reversed .wav clip. The whole song was well done and I don't mind the loud crash.....

Wow.. I'm sitting here with my mouth wide open. I've been lurking in the shadows on this BBS since I registered, learning more as I go along, and after downloading your song I had to comment on it.

I'm a fellow SBLive owner and I'm blown away at how good your mix is and the overall quality (not fidelity) of the recording... this is something I'd play on my way home from work in the afternoon. =)

Have you looked into soundfonts for the percussion? If you'd like some resources let me know.. if you have enough RAM they're a real treat to work with.

At 1:26+ I'm hearing female vocals, are those samples or did you pitch-shift your voice? Also curious as to the other equipment you used and techniques...

After I get some more equipment this type of recording would be what I'd strive for; very impressed.. can't wait to hear more of your material. A+ !

What can I say?........Great tune!! I loved that guitar harmony, I KNOW that felt good playin that! Your voice is top notch all the way, everything sounds great...I'm holding my lighter up for an encore. I don't know about anybody else...but I feel there is some very good things happening here. The music and the players are soooo inspiring!

Garger

I'm gonna pick my jaw up off the floor and rest a second. The other replies took the words out my mouth, simply wonderful. This forum has constantly raised the bar i try to set for myself and my work, and this has inspirired me to raise it once again.

rhoadz

"At 1:26+ I'm hearing female vocals, are those samples or did you pitch-shift your voice? Also curious as to the other equipment you used and techniques..."

hah no one has ever said that I sounded like a girl before! Yes, that's me. When listening to it again I guess it does kinda sound like female singers. However, I did use Anteras Auto-Tune for that vocal part, and actually I think I have over done it because the backing vocals do sound overly processed.

As for other equipment, I have a marshall valvestate 40watt amp and a fender set-neck telecaster. I don't exactly remember how I miced the amp. I'm thinking about buying a POD though. I also have a set of Sony headphones used for monitoring/checking the mix.

The acoustic guitar was miced at the 12th fret, maybe 5 or 6 inches from the guitar.

Reigs -- I do use soundfonts but for some reason I've never used any of them for drum parts. I don't know why. Although I have found one drum kit soundfont that I think I want to use for my next song.

"{...} and the overall quality (not fidelity) of the recording..."
May I ask what you mean by this?

Thanks again to everyone for all the feedback.

Wow! if the tunes keep coming like this, Dragon may have to change the name of this forum to "Pro" MP3 Mixing Clinic (of course that would leave me out but..) Really think you have a great song here MrLip, very very nice!Polease post another!

David

I listened to the song this morning again and I'm as impressed as I was the first time I heard it. It's great man. As far as what genre this one is in...that's tough. When I can't place a song I usually lump it into either adult contemporary or pop. Those seem to be catch-all catagories. I'd lean towards adult contemporary though.

Back