1.5 improv (extra cheese mix)

saved you & Tom for the last sam-IJ... so many threads to juggle now...

Damn, this sounds excellent... love the lurking piano sound. Great lyrics... handsome lad when you wuz 9. Love the string swell at 1:23... great, great stuff. See, YOU get 1.5 hours, and do something productive with it. Some of us just neeeeed the weeed.

Goin on the next CD-R. Love it.

thanks for the comments guys!

here's a breakdown if anyone cares..

I started with a drum machine beat that was basically an altered preset.. that took about 15 minutes.. I fired up the keys and played the main piano riff.. 15 minutes.. the piano that comes @1:15 took 15 minutes alone to get down.. the early strings took 5 minutes because it is only 1 note.. I then added that backround bassy synth.. 10 minutes.. I grabbed my guitar and the EBow, and recorded the excuse for a solo on the second take with no punches.. 15 minutes (and it shows).. I couldn't even add rhythm guitar because my guit was too out of tune, and I didn't have the time.. I grabbed the mic and did some freestyle vocal.. I doubled it with a harmony.. It was about 5 takes each... total of 30 minutes.. The song was only 1 minute 12 seconds and I was running out of time.. I turned on a string patch and added the outro in about 15 minutes.. I tried to record everything at the level it would be mixed at because I knew I wouldn't have time later.. then I made a few adjustments and burned it..

the whole song was decomposed in under 2 hours.. The lyrics surprised me because it was recording before I even knew what I was going to sing..

Anyway, lots o fun! :D

I don't know how you guys did those real sounding songs in such a short amount of time..

I will just assume you are all lying about the amount of time spent.. :)

Well there is really all kinds of cheese. You got cheese wiz which is that watered down stuff, those squares you make grilled cheese outa that wont catch rats, velveta cheese that is almost there but not quite. Then you got the real thing that Sylvester used to try and catch that kangaroo that looked like a big rat. You gonna catch a lot of kangaroos and rats with this one cuz its da sh*t!!!

Doom and gloom all the way!!

"Bump..Bump"

Yeah I went to the #2 page and dug this up hehe! I've heard alot of "cheese" in my time...this aint it buddy;) . Wow.

ummmmmmmmmmmmm cheese

NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Even in a 1.5 tune you managed to keep the dark and sammy feel!!!!!!! it would take me ten years to mix something that clean!! cheesy, you are NOT!!!!!!

thank's sam!!

peace

rick

I dont know if I`ve ever heard anybody record my favorite end of a piano that big and haunting before, I loved it. The guitar was sinister... :) You just sing right into whatever you do like flippin switch. Your heavy artillery man.. I admire. That big thick fatassed lush analog synth loosened my skin all over. : )

JR#97 said:
what did you use for keys?

the piano and strings were from a Roland XV 20-20, using an Alesis QSR 6.1 as a midi controller...

thanks a lot for the comments guys.. this thing VOX came up with was a lot of fun.. I think I have listened to every single 1.5 song posted.. If I missed any, please let me know..

thanks a lot! :D

Attachments

• candle09_e0.gif
    candle09_e0.gif
    9.7 KB · Views: 60
Sabb of Blackness, you are awe-inspiring!!! Melodic expression is
most excellently translated. I learned a coupla' pointers on mixing
feelin' this jammie!
Thankyou 4 sharin' your impressive talent!

Sam, I just came in on the tail end of this 1.5 thing- sorry I missed it! very cool idea. Anyway, just wanted to say this stuff rocks as usual!

Twist

I couldn't get the American Cheese to work so I listened to Safety Dance! Damn that was cool! I love that guitar intro and the double bass towards the end. Definite talent you have there.

Hey Sam,this was pretty cool for 1.45!
I gotta try it,I don't know though,I usually take 1.5 months to record a song!:D

The synths were very nice,cool mix!

Thanks,
Pete

Oh, sure! Berate me for missing the cheese. So, being a good Boy Scout, I go searching for this tune and, guess what? Somebody took it down already! B.SABBATH giveth and B.Sabbath taketh away.:(

Back