woohoo...i'm getting free bass traps

Ironklad Audio

so check it out...i saw a bunch of insulated ceiling tiles sitting around the other day at work, and thought to myself "damn...those look just like the OC 703 panels that bass traps are made from..."

the very next day, i was talking to our building services guy, who i'm pretty friendly with, and he told me that they don't match any of the ceiling panels in our building - i guess the plastic coloration on the one side is too yellow, so he can't put any of them up. then i told him that i could totally make use of them, and so he gave me the whole stack.

go me. :D:D:D

so check it out...i saw a bunch of insulated ceiling tiles sitting around the other day at work, and thought to myself "damn...those look just like the OC 703 panels that bass traps are made from..."

the very next day, i was talking to our building services guy, who i'm pretty friendly with, and he told me that they don't match any of the ceiling panels in our building - i guess the plastic coloration on the one side is too yellow, so he can't put any of them up. then i told him that i could totally make use of them, and so he gave me the whole stack.

go me. :D:D:D

Not to rain on your parade, but those ceiling tiles are almost definitely not OC 703 and probably have very different acoustic properties. OC 703 is desirable because of its absorption coefficients across the frequency spectrum. Chances are that the ceiling tiles don't have such a great profile and may not absorb bass very well at all. In this case you could end up with highs and mids being significantly attenuated and the bass not at all, resulting in a very uneven sound.

Don't let me spoil your fun, but before you put in too much effort just be aware that you may be disappointed with the results. You might ask the question on the studio building forum.

yea...i'm not sure if it's the same thing as the 703 or not - but regardless, it's some type of rigid fiberglass, which i assume puts it in the same category of materials

the only other drawback is that they're only 1" thick, but i'm sure i can find a way assemble them back-to-back

they're probably not going to be as nice/effective as legit 703 panels, but fuck...all they're going to cost me is the fabric to cover them - and if they work like ass, i'll save that stuff to put over the real 703 later on

Back