why use an external mixer? cant you do it with in the pc?

liamo

just wondering (i'm learning at the mo so bear with me on the simple questions) why one would buy an external mixer instead of using a program in the pc to mix what you have recorded and then for instance just record it onto your pc cdrw??

also if it is essential what should i look for in a mixer for a modest pc home studioset up with an 8 channell soundcard.

much appreciated
liamo

Depends on the person.

Some people do prefer mixing on the PC internally.

Some people like the feel of having a physical mixing surface instead of sliding the mouse over drawings of faders.

Some people think analoge does a better job of "summing" the sounds since there are so many math rounding errors involved in digital mixing.

Personally, I wouldn't give up the accessibility and ease of use of an actual physical mixing board (although it is still a digital mixer). I tried mixing with my mouse. It's a pain in the arse.

I'd rather mix with a mouse but software just doesn't sound as good to me as going through an analog mixer. Plus being able to use software and hardware devices simultainiously is a very powerful system. Just my humble opinion.

.....Why not??

i think the stronger question is why not implement an external mixer into a PC system, if you can???

besides, it's fun having an Aux Send, Inserts and manual volume controls while monitoring.

too much effort if strictly PC for my limbs.

JMO

I don't have the cash at the moment because I am working on finishing my control room and putting up wall treatments but I will eventually use both. I am in the camp that prefers hardware but going that route is certainly more expensive.

unless you have Protools HD and an SSL or Amek board and world-class outboard gear, sending your busses or tracks to external mixer isn't really worth it.

Hmmmmmmmmm............................

QUOTE;............"
unless you have Protools HD and an SSL or Amek board and world-class outboard gear, sending your busses or tracks to external mixer isn't really worth it."

That comment is the type of thing I would expect from a person, that after listening to a contribution in the Mp3 Clinic, replies with the profound, Earth shattering criticism.........."Man, that track sux".

Fenix, perhaps you would care to enlighten us less fortunate souls with your logic.

:cool:

fenix said:
unless you have Protools HD and an SSL or Amek board and world-class outboard gear, sending your busses or tracks to external mixer isn't really worth it.
I strongly disagree

I prefer the mix buss of a Mackie over software. I still try mixing in Nuendo and end up on back on the board every time. I A/B mixs and prefer the non PC mix every time, even if I don't get all the fader moves I want on the board mix.

Kirk

I once did a most un-scientific test and compared a mix done through my crappy alesis mixer and one done with Cubase. It was a level only mix, no eq, compression or verbs. The first test was to as the old lady which one she liked better. For reasons beyond me she picked the analog mix. I could barely tell the difference myself but the analog had something the other didn't. I really can't explain it. I posted the .mp3's here and most people picked the analog mix too. Take it for what it's worth I guess.

while "knubs who say's kneeeeh" definately prefers an analog mix of digital tracks, or analog tracks for that matter, fenix knows not of what he speaks. protools conversion is pretty lame, and a lot of amek boards really suck. ssl consoles are nice, especially with all the gadgets on board, but not the be all and end all of all of it always.

If using an external analog mixer, what's the best way to send audio to the computer for the final 2-track mix? I go from the rca outs on my mixer to the rca ins on the back of my computer (audiophile 24/96 soundcard). Is this the best way to go?

Use it all! Digital, analog...mixers, patchbays, outboard, plugin....use what works. Find out what works best for you.

Back