Thread: Why mix with monitor speakers?

Thanks

Question

Sign in to disable this ad
    I've gotta ask a question here...so, we buy monitor speakers so we can get a true representation of our music without the enhancements that regular stereo speakers provide, right? During mixdown we set volume levels and EQ settings so the mix sounds good through these ridiculously expensive monitor speakers. Then, we mixdown and the finished product will be listened to on stereo speakers that enhance the sound. What's the point? Here's my dilema...I tweak all my settings so the mix sounds great on my monitor speakers, do a test mixdown to cassette (I'm all analog), take the cassette out to my kick-ass car stereo (my acid test of a good-sounding mix) and it sounds like crap! I have to go back and reset everything and do a few more test mixes until it sounds great on my car stereo and my home stereo, and then I've got a good mix. Help me out here!

Thanks

Thumbs down

I'm using Event 20/20P's and getting my mix sounding good... comparing the mix with other good sounding CD's through my monitors... Then I burn a CD and listen on my real stereo and it sounds like ass...
    I thought studio monitors were supposed to let you hear the problem sources in a mix but my cheap assed Kenwoods bring out the crap whereas the "real" monitors seem to hide it...
    My next step is to make a 50ft aux cable to run a line out of my mixer to my home stereo...

Frustr8-ed

S8-N

Thanks

Wink

Ya, unless you spend alot (I mean alot) of money on monitors, you're probably beter off just checking your mixes on as many different stereos as you can.

I'm actually starting to think that the 'prosumer' monitors that one can buy are just making everything sound better so we amateurs don't feel so bad about our mixes.

Good luck, anyway...

William Underwood

P.S. Gotta love having 50 foot cables running all over the house, eh?

[This message has been edited by cwillu (edited 11-25-1999).]

Thread Information