Whats up with the new Foo fighters?

andyhix

:dank:
That song "Best of you" hurts my ears everytime I hear it. Normally I really dig the band, but that song is "difficult listening." I'm sure it's totally overcompressed, but it seems something else about it is kinda grating.

Well, aside from the whole "compressed-to-smitherines" aspect of it ... it just suffers from an overall crappiness to it.

It's pretty sad, actually. It sounds like it was tracked and mixed by a bunch of crack heads. The cymbals sound phasey and harsh... the guitar parts are kind of ... thin. Just like the whole record, in particular. Pretty thin sounding. No real solid meat or "bottom" driving it.

I dunno about the dvd, I just have heard that one single a few times on the radio and mtv, and it physically hurts my head. I think it might be the fast constant downbeat rhythm, that every instrument is hammering on - that and a bad recording, mixing, and mastering job.

I really like the new song "The best of you", but I aint noticed anything wrong with the mix. I would need to listen to it a bit more. Foo Fighters last two albums were absolutely terrible. But I think the new one is going back to the Foo Fighters I used to love soo much.

Downside Studio said:
are you talking about their new dvd? I know who recorded so it i can ask :o

Really? Perhaps you could get them to join in and have a discussion here. :cool:

I haven’t heard this new record but if it’s like a lot of the other new shit that’s out it will probably be fatiguing to listen to. When I hear some of this crap I want to come down on the sound and mastering engineer’s but is it really their fault? I mean they are being paid big money to deliver what the customer wants right? Don’t these artist’s who have experience making records hear the same shit we hear? :confused:

Yeah alot of new rock music is limited to the max, which can kill dynamics quite a bit and loose clarity. Any rock more than -10dB RMS average is too much in my personal view. Dance music can work at like -8dB at a push sometimes because of the style of it.

Having heard the other tracks on the new album i can say 'Best For You' is the weakest track on the "rock" disc. It's hard to imagine the Foo dudes would choose that track for the first single - me thinkz the dudes at BMG(?) are planning a long campaign to promote this record and don't wanna bore you with 'Best OF YOUUUUUUUU' nine months from now being the 5th single. Having said that it's a good record - but there's definitely better sounding songs on the album. Technically speaking, i loaded the song into wavelab and all visual signs are there that they've tried to make "their best" AND loudest record ever -it's overly compressed, yes.

The problem is that they strangely haven't really had any really good songs since Pat Smear left.

Last edited:
Back