whats the order for processor plug-ins?

greggybud

Im using Waves Gold and Wavelab. Of the following processors I am wondering about the order. I know there are no hard "rules." I also realize some processors are more appropriate depending on which phase of recording you are at.

I am especially wondering where the Stereo Imaging should go? Before or after EQ and Compression or in the middle?

Compression
Equilzation
Reverb
Stereo Imaging
Gating/Expanding
DeEsser

When tracking what is the order of the above?

And when mastering what is the order?

You should only need a teeny weensy bit if EQ at the mastering stage if any. I find that I almost always use the C-4 (just a teeny bit) and the L-1 Ultra (and I dont go as deep as the manual suggests as it kills the dynamics) But if I want to stick in the Stereo Imager in this phase to either make the bass a bit more full or alter the image, where should it go? Before or after the C-4?

There is not really a set order, but I'd advise you use as small a number as plug ins as you really need, and leave compression as the last in line

Teacher said:
does order really matter in wavelab cuz the efx are added real time....?

??? I'm not sure I follow you. After you have everything set exactly the way you want it, regardless of if you are processing a track, or mastering, you hit the "apply" button, and you have a new wave of the processed material.

Results will be different depending which comes first EQ or compression. I guess I was mainly wondering where Waves Stereo Imaging should go?

Back