Whats a great DAW software for recording?

best daw software for recording?

• Sonar

Votes: 75 14.0%
  • cubase

Votes: 99 18.5%
  • acid

Votes: 9 1.7%
  • adobe

Votes: 20 3.7%
  • pro tools (m-audio)

Votes: 67 12.5%
  • nuendo

Votes: 15 2.8%
  • logic

Votes: 77 14.4%
  • other (please specify)

Votes: 173 32.3%

• Total voters
I use REAPER because the one time payment of $50 was very reasonable. It has everything you need and more. You can even test it out for 30 days and see if it is for you. THE ONE THING THAT MAKES REAPER SO GOOD IS THAT THE CREATORS (JUSTIN) IS DOING IT FOR THE MUSIC, NOT THE MONEY, unlike the rest.

Reaper is user friendly - literally. If you want something changed or added to the program, go to the Reaper forum, recommend the change, and if it's a good idea, the next update will most likely have the change in it. They are constantly updating.

Samplitude....works best for me.

icon14.gif

YUP...also my DAW of choice.

I've used Cubase (way back)...and I also own Sonar, but never much cared for the feel of the GUI, so I never bother to update it.

As an "almost-freebie"...N-Track is pretty good. I tried it out in its early days, but then soon after got into Samplitude and I never looked back.

I also used SAW (Software Audio Workshop) back in the mid-late 90s...which was a VERY cool DAW, and it still is. But they went through a "dark" period where they sorta abandoned their user base for a couple of years...and by the time they came back into it...I was already on Samplitude, but if I was to consider something other than Samplitude…it would be SAW.

I'm recording and mixing with Sonar HS6XL...I have HS7XL but they changed the GUI and it's like Fisher Price now, and it was incompatible with some of my USB devices, mainly my Presonus FaderPort so I switched back to HS6XL, I also use Reason 3.0, Recycle, and ReBirth for electronica stuff.

Thanks,
Scott.

The feature set for one. I know there are many choices for DAWs and they all pretty much have or do similar features but for me, the workflow, the stability of the application and the "quality of the sound (I know very subjective)” I’ve gotten out of Samplitude is why its my personal choice. I'm sure others have the same feeling about what the use as well.

I don't believe it does everything the best but then again, I don't think any DAW does "everything". I record mostly audio with limited midi applications and the program has been a rock solid performer on limited PC hardware.

I will also say I had considered Pro Tools at one point but that application comes with limited track counts (albeit, you to buy additional capability) but worse than that (IMO) it locks you into specific hardware. I chose to go with Samplitiude Pro and have had no regrets.

Here’s a link to some tutorial vides if you’re interested.
http://www.samplitude.com/en/community/tutorial_videos/introduction.326.html

thanks for the link...i may fire it up again...id like to use ableton for everything but it seems to be lacking when it comes to the final mixes..

I tried presonus studio one when the demo first came out...it had a fantastic workflow, you could have a mastering project within the song that updated the bounced audio file every time you fired it up...plus all effects and instruments were drag and drop..

the mixer was shite though...you couldn't stretch it and at its normal size there was no fine tuning mixes...hopefully they'll fix that with updates as it would determine my next audio interface purchase when I upgrade my toneport

miroslavs right about sonar though..I have studio 8 and it GUI is one of the worst Ive seen...dark and dingy and far too many buttons on screen...also if you are only running one monitor it give up far too much real estate to controls..you'd never know if its the only DAW you've used but demo another and its like a breath of fresh air, one of my early impulse buys unfortunately

Adobe's finally got its act together and put out a version of Audition that does pretty much everything I've wanted from a software for both tracking and editing - Version 3. It's still a bit wanting in some areas like MIDI, but since I don't use MIDI... The only thing that makes me roll my eyes sometimes is how it's a prima donna - you can't open any other applications during playback, for instance, cuz it stops working. That's a pain. Sometimes I like to open Windows Explorer or FL Studio to check on something while I'm listening to a track. Can't do that. What I'm wondering about now is what they can possibly offer in Version 4 to tempt me to pony up for the upgrade.

But for tracking, it's fine. It forces you to save the session before you start tracking, and does that direct-to-disk recording thing, which I like - it makes it impossible to lose a track you've recorded by accident.

I have all the major stuff, bundled, in LE version, that came with my soundcard.

I can't use any of them.

So I use a ponced copy of Fruity Loops. Only because it's the only thing I can understand at the moment.

Dr. V

Adobe's finally got its act together and put out a version of Audition that does pretty much everything I've wanted from a software for both tracking and editing - Version 3. It's still a bit wanting in some areas like MIDI, but since I don't use MIDI... The only thing that makes me roll my eyes sometimes is how it's a prima donna - you can't open any other applications during playback, for instance, cuz it stops working. That's a pain. Sometimes I like to open Windows Explorer or FL Studio to check on something while I'm listening to a track. Can't do that. What I'm wondering about now is what they can possibly offer in Version 4 to tempt me to pony up for the upgrade.

But for tracking, it's fine. It forces you to save the session before you start tracking, and does that direct-to-disk recording thing, which I like - it makes it impossible to lose a track you've recorded by accident.

that sounds like a dreadful DAW not a great one ;)

I have all the major stuff, bundled, in LE version, that came with my soundcard.

I can't use any of them.

So I use a ponced copy of Fruity Loops. Only because it's the only thing I can understand at the moment.

Dr. V

whats a ponced copy?
eyebrows.gif

Another happy reaper user here. Price is second to none, and like Gerg said...ask for something and you'll probably get it.

I think all the DAW's will do just about anything anyone needs, it all depends on how good/comfortable you are with what you use. I use Cubase because I know it pretty well, but from what I've seen, ProTools seems a little better for recording live music.

Sonar or Acid (or both) for me, depending on what I'm doing. I like them 'cause that's what I learned on. No reason to change, as they both keep getting better.

Another Reaper user here. I've been using Reaper (with my new laptop) since August and I LOVE it. You get a ton of bang for your buck, if you buy the private license. I am very satisfied with Reaper and I intend on using it for a while.

logic destroys all ... and trust me, i've tested them all.

logic is by far the best DAW i've ever worked with. truly love it.

logic destroys all ... and trust me, i've tested them all.

logic is by far the best DAW i've ever worked with. truly love it.
What kinda tests did you run? What were the results?

I use cubase but thinking about adding another. Have you tried samplitude and Sequoia? How do they compare?

I've used ProTools, Cubase (since the days of Atari), Logic, Samplitude, Ableton Live and most recently Reaper.

For me, as working with old fashioned type recording with live instruments, Reaper has the best workflow and I often find that the functions I need are close at hand. I guess it comes down to utility and price. What do you need the DAW to do and how much can you spend?

PS. I have to commend Ardour for being open source. I wish it was available for PC! DS.

Cubase is somewhat intuitive so when working with graphical audio tracks mousework is made a little easier - however, the layout is annoying when going from midi to audio and back again - like different windows etc. For example I don't know if there is a way once you open the mixer graphic to affix it so it doesn't just close when you open another graphical part from the menu. I want to have all my desk open at once in front of me and when I go into the channel settings not to have the mixer close so I have to reopen it again.
You can set up parralel comp thru sx.

Don't forget Garageband - free to most mac users and a great stepping stone to logic.

Having worked with Cubase for years and am now in the transition to Logic I have to say Logic is far better for my purposes.

It doesn't help that Steinberg still insist on Dongling their mac software and charging you full whack when you lose a dongle!

Back