What's That Cool Delay Effect.....

scarboro78

NYC HIP-HOP AMBASSADOR
Has anyone heard this new (not THAT new) song by Ludakris? He has this cool delay effect that happens at the end of every bar. It kinda sounds like they cut the last word of every bar and duplicated it like 3 or four times.. I don't even think the volume decreases each time it duplicates.. and it only happens on the last word? I have a few delay effects and reverb but none of them sound anything like it..

Anyone know what I'm talking bout?

scarboro78 said:
Has anyone heard this new (not THAT new) song by Ludakris? He has this cool delay effect that happens at the end of every bar. It kinda sounds like they cut the last word of every bar and duplicated it like 3 or four times.. I don't even think the volume decreases each time it duplicates.. and it only happens on the last word? I have a few delay effects and reverb but none of them sound anything like it..

Anyone know what I'm talking bout?

They probably made him adlib all the last rhyming words of each bar and added a delay to it. I don't have the track in front of me so i'm not sure but thats probably it.

The reason yours doesn't sound like his is because he has engineers who know what they are doing with thousands of dollars of equipment....though the knowledgeable engineer goes a helluva lot farther then equipment. Just keep tweaking till you find something you like.

he may have just repeated it

If it's the song I'm thinking of It sounds like they have a combi of delay and him just repeating the words

I haven't heard this song before, but I think I know what you're describing. We use to do that song by The Romantics- Talking in your sleep. The sound man was really good. He would just set the lead vocalists send to the delay with the correct delay time, then just before the last word of the phrase, turn the send up and then off again after the word. You can't let it on the whole time or it's just a jumble..especially with drums bleeding over the mic. "When you close your eyes, and you go to sleep..sleep.......sleep.............sleep." Sounded pretty cool.
As mentioned above you could easily over dub the last word and just add delay.

Back