What monitors do you use?

What monitors do you use?

• Total voters
what an old thread...

I still have my Yorkvilles YSm1P the gang here recommended but they now reside in my sons hr desk, he used the heck out of them and still not a problem. 12yrs of a lot of use..still like new.

Few months to a year ago I saw a pair of DynAudio BM5A pop up for $175 for the pair on CL.
I couldnt drive over fast enough.
...the ex-owner has some huge pro Sound System hi end company so to him these werent a big deal at all to him, probably patio speakers or something, very humbling.

In the meantime bought $200 KRK V6 version 1 SurfCity Cali!! US made... which I swapped the tweeters out with some old Focals from a passive set I got for $50.
The Focal tweeters made them so much easier on the ears, amazing upgrade.

Attachments

• KRKDYN.jpg
    KRKDYN.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 8
Hi. I'm using a pair of Mackie MR5 mkII, and are somewhat pleased with them. I'm gonna upgrade at some point, but not until I've treated the room some more. It's a small room, and I really want closed cabinet monitors, perhaps even with concentric elements/tweeter. But that's above my budget for now, so I'll make due with what I have.
All the best.
gM4ad5e.jpg

This thread is so old I couldn't find my original post. So I've probably upgraded twice since then.

The Genelec 1029's with the 1091 sub have moved into the living room and have become part of the home theater. So they do get used as reference for mixes.

The Tannoy System 8's have moved to my son-in-laws studio along with the ancient Crown that powered them.

I can't afford ATC SCM25's, but thats what I would get if I could.

I track through a pair of Sundholm Engineering 6.5 passives with a customized Parasound 1000 amp and I mix through a pair of Neumann KH120's. I used to have a very old and high end BIC sub but I found it caused more work than needed in the mixing so it went away. It took me nearly a year to learn the KH120's but now they are what I want to hear.

Equator D5s and an Avantone mixcube. Hoping to upgrade the Equators in the near future (even though they are great for the price), but the Avantone I couldn't live without now.

I also use Ultrasone Pro2900 a lot (as I listen mostly to music in headphones anyway).

When I mix I'll be jumping around for the first couple of hours playing the track loudly via my KRKs, and once I know the bottom end is rocking, I'll mix with low volume on the Auratones for the rest of the day. If I can make a mix work on the Auratones, I know I'm flying. T. Elmhirst…mixing the top Billboard album...65 weeks on chart. Adele's "21"

just reading this morning, Avantone ….er...Auratones...etc... a small speaker in a small box.

Last edited:
There is much to learn from small speakers. Even the $60 Phillips ones I have tell me how my mixes are heard by most.

Damn glad I got rid of my KRK G28's tho. They were so 'scooped' that nothing was easy to translate.

Adam A7X was a game changer.

Hello friend, I recently bought a pair of used M-Audio BX-8 and they came with the speaker dust cap damaged, the seller told that her daughter pushed the caps but with no damage in sound. I don´t know if the sound went bad ´cause of that, but talking about the beauty of the monitors, that´s really ugly with the pushed caps, I´m very afraid to do some repair, but I want my monitor working 100%, I saw in youtube people doing a vacuum cleaner repair in the dust cover, it´s safe for studio monitor? Someone already did these job?

I had luck with a hair dryer and some light masking tape and the dented dust cap popped out.
The hair dryer made it soft and the weak tape allowed a light pull to it ...
I thought it was less risk than the vacuum cleaner method, with that I would be more careful. But Ive tried it cautiously.

I had luck with a hair dryer and some light masking tape and the dented dust cap popped out.
The hair dryer made it soft and the weak tape allowed a light pull to it ...
I thought it was less risk than the vacuum cleaner method, with that I would be more careful. But Ive tried it cautiously.

I believe your's is the safest method

Ok. Here's one from my 3rd grade science class..

Get a jar with a round opening - maybe a small jelly or preserves jar.. squeaky clean. Place the jar opening over the concave dome to make sure it completely covers the concave area. Now light a match or small piece of paper, drop it in the jar and place the jar opening over the dome before the flame goes out. If the gap between the jar and dome is small enough, the resulting vacuum should pull the dome out.

Sounds crazy, right.. Well, at least it won't have the danger of constant high vacuum from a machine.

I just hope the dome isn't made of guitar pick material.. ever light up a pick?

I believe your's is the safest method

Ok. Here's one from my 3rd grade science class..

Get a jar with a round opening - maybe a small jelly or preserves jar.. squeaky clean. Place the jar opening over the concave dome to make sure it completely covers the concave area. Now light a match or small piece of paper, drop it in the jar and place the jar opening over the dome before the flame goes out. If the gap between the jar and dome is small enough, the resulting vacuum should pull the dome out.

Sounds crazy, right.. Well, at least it won't have the danger of constant high vacuum from a machine.

I just hope the dome isn't made of guitar pick material.. ever light up a pick?

I remember to watch "beakman´s world" doing some similar to that. Good memories!!

Start with the least likely to do damage. Some dust caps come out with a stick finger... Just don't go directly to vacuum...

Hello friend, I recently bought a pair of used M-Audio BX-8 and they came with the speaker dust cap damaged, the seller told that her daughter pushed the caps but with no damage in sound. I don´t know if the sound went bad ´cause of that, but talking about the beauty of the monitors, that´s really ugly with the pushed caps, I´m very afraid to do some repair, but I want my monitor working 100%, I saw in youtube people doing a vacuum cleaner repair in the dust cover, it´s safe for studio monitor? Someone already did these job?

Hey man, how did it work out with the dust caps? Inquiring minds want to know. :)

I don't have monitors per se, just a pair of old radio shack minimus 7's run by a vintage kenwood receiver. I was ready to buy some JBL 305P mkII before I started toying with the idea of switching from the 10x10 office to my current bedroom (twice size, irregular shaped). In my price range the 305, 306 and 308 are options. I don't know if I should ask here or start a new thread elsewhere.

Back