What monitors do you use?

What monitors do you use?

• Total voters
I use Tannoy system 800s. Those are pretty good, accurate, and what not. I also have a pair of yamahas that were a cheap (what?) knock off of ns10s (weren't those crappy enough??? we actually needed a cheaper alternative?) ah well. That's what I use to destroy music note by note.

I'm using the Alesis M1's and a crappy set of computer speakers as a second point of reference. I figure most people who download my music are hearing it on some low end computer speakers. I try to make the mix work well on both sets.

im using an old pair of EVENT 20/20 BAS actives..........

sweet sound, very true and not hyped at all...........i love em. A MAJOR step up from the M-audio BX series i had............

I have the Mackie HR824's. They sound so good that they make a bad mix sound good. You have to keep that in mind when you mix. :p You need to take the mix to the car to hear it in crap environment.

I have the Mackie HR824's. They sound so good that they make a bad mix sound good. You have to keep that in mind when you mix. :p You need to take the mix to the car to hear it in crap environment.

The goal of good monitors is not to make a bad mix sound good, it's to ensure an accurate reproduction of the mix. The HR824's are good monitors though, so maybe you need some room treatment.

5 years with M-Audio BX8's...original M-Audio went B'rupt, dunno if this makes a difference in build, but mine are pre-digi and what a buy at the time!

Adam A7s. Raw sound (in comparison with decent Dynaudios) with a little hyped midrange. Ideal for vocal mixing. Lacking a little lower basses (sub would help) but it is not necessary for my type of music. I am satisfied with them.

Before I had Behringer Truths but A7 is a higher class. Not comparable.

KRK V6's here.

I find it very helpful to switch back and forth between monitors and stereo speakers when mixing.

For that I use, believe it or not, Realistic Minimus 77's which are surprisingly clean and clear. Also, Boston Acoustic speakers that I've got flush-mounted in the walls of two rooms but they're kind of misleading as they make anything sound good.

I went to get some stuff mixed by a 12x platinum yadda yadda yadda engineer as was astounded to see that he used a pair of Event ASP-8s for his mixing... No farfields, no NS-10s, no ADAMs, just those... Which I always found to be terrible when A/B'd versus just about any other speaker in that price range on the market (very muddy). Guess it just goes to show that its all in the engineer, not the monitor.

Muddy???? Not even. I shot these out against everything in the price range and they walked all over pretty much everything. The dynaudios where impressive. Did not hear the ADAM's.

Perhaps mister 12 platinum records actually knows just a little;)

F.S.

Back