what is the limit on panning for mono?

jugalo180

www.moneyistherecipe.com
if one was two pan a track in stereo, but someone was to listen to it in stereo and not hear the track, how could you prevent this problem?
1 is there like a boundry for panning?
2 can stereo imaging correct this?
3 is it better than panning?
4 why and what's the difference?

tia
physical therapy

If you pan left---you hear the left only
If you pan right---you hear right only
If you pan center you hear both
Why would one not hear anything ??:confused:

let me correct myself

i meant if you panned a stereo track what would be the limits before you lose the sound when you listen to the song in mono? say i have a song and i have the guitar panned hard left and right, when i render it down in mono will everything be ok? i read that it is wise to check your music in mono when you pan to make sure you don't lose the signal or have any funny effects. if no one knows what the hell i'm talking about l.o.l, i'll do a search in this forum for that statement.

say i have a song and i have the guitar panned hard left and right, when i render it down in mono will everything be ok?

If you mixed down a stereo file down to mono than that doesn't mean you'll only hear just the left or just the right. It means that both the left and right channels will be mixed to one. So you will hear both guitars on your case in the center of the stereo spread.

i read that it is wise to check your music in mono when you pan to make sure you don't lose the signal or have any funny effects.

That's for phase cancellation. Try searching for phase cancellation on this board.

Tukkis

Blue Bear Sound said:

lol

i think that is the perfect answer to that original post!

jugalo, your second post was coherent . . .but that first one! lol !
were you smoking crack that day?

I think your talking about when you say, pan your overheads hard left and right... and you switch to mono ... you dont hear the same balance of overheads because they are panned hard... correct?? umm ...
just dont pan the important stuff hard if you have reason to belive that a large portion of people will be listening to your mix in mono or near mono (radio, tv)
or mabey you could make 2 mixes ... one mono friendly mix and one regular... I dont know... hope this answers your question

XerXes said:
lol

i think that is the perfect answer to that original post!

How about:

If you pan something too far, you won't hear it mono because it will be playing on a speaker that isn't there.

If you record '60s-style percussion in stereo, then play back in mono, you will hear the sound of one hand clapping.

thanks

i appreciate all of the help, i looked over that first post and i think i may have been on crack at the time. so the issue is only for phase cancellation or can you lose some instruments like sjjohnston mentioned?

TexRoadkill said:
If you listen to mono recordings on a stereo what are you supposed to do with the extra speaker :confused:
I think in this case the music only comes out of the tweeters. But it comes out of both of them. Don't ask me how it knows.

:D

sjjohnston said:
How about:

If you pan something too far, you won't hear it mono because it will be playing on a speaker that isn't there.

If you record '60s-style percussion in stereo, then play back in mono, you will hear the sound of one hand clapping.

Only if you just play one of the stereo channels. Making mono out of stereo is adding both stereo channels to one and play it.

Boray said:
Only if you just play one of the stereo channels. Making mono out of stereo is adding both stereo channels to one and play it.
Just to educate you further... you do realize, of course, that in that summing process, you WILL lose "some" of the signal due to that L-R component....

Back