What do think about the Ozone dynamics plug as a mix comp?

mixsit

iZotope Ozone 5 Complete Mastering System | DYNAMICS
I was kind interested in this for it's three-in-one dynamics layers. Particularly for the top two, but it's stacking of individual ratio attack and releases for each level, and having it in one plug. Want to see what folks might think this for track insert duties? I find about half the time for compressors I'm going to adaptable comps (as opposed to some of the standard 'classic emulations mainly so that I can dial in the attack and release to get what I want out of them.
One thing that's sort of a drag -and IMHO is a fairly big miss is they left out the frickin side chain filter lest you spring for $1k! - rimes w/ no way.. :rolleyes:

Anywho, for example bass guitar (or upright for that matter..) A comp to set and shape the general level, and one above for the notes that stick out. I tend to think of this in terms of controlling levels and 'shape / 'attack. Often contrary set ups.

All this is, is a multiband compressor. I use Adobe Audition which licenses it as a 4-band compressor. I use it quite a bit outside of mastering if I have to mix, say, a really troublesome track or if I have to mix a drum loop that have been mixed down to one stem. Don't go too crazy with it, I just consider it in terms of a "dynamic eq" where I may chop off 3-4 db and not 6+

But all I'm interested in is it's vertical comp/limit layers so, no not a MB.

Ah, I'm more use to this being described as compressors in series than vertical, my apologies. It's common, for sure, as it usually yields better sounding results to knock, say, 4db from two compressors than 8db from one. The first is usually set for fast attack/release with the second set for slower attach/release. I haven't really heard any need for more than two in series, however.

That said, you'll expand your compression pallet if you mix one of these with a different compressor plugin. Experiment.

Back