What is the BEST Reverb Software?

barefoot

barefootsound.com
I did a search and found surprisingly few opinions on this subject.

1. I'm interested in finding the Best of the Best. I've tried all the cheapies and they suck.

2. I'm using a PC, so I guess I'm limited to DX , VST or stand alone apps... right?

3. No, I'm not willing or able to buy any outboard units right now, so lets stick to opinions on SOFTWARE reverbs.

Thanks!:)

barefoot

The only software plugs that I've heard any raves about cost as much or more than hardware.

The Waves stuff is very poplular. I'd like to give them a try.

I second what TEX had to say.......I've heard the exact same thing................Waves is supposed to be phenomenal, but that's just what I heard.............Most of the software reverb stuff I've tried to date I really don't like.....It totally colors the sounds and sounds completely unnatural.........Awhile back on another site I asked the same question you asked barefoot............and I got the same damn answer.......:) or actually I should say :(

-nave

barefoot,
I like the sonic timeworks stuff alot. The reverbs seem to be easily adjusted and sound pretty good to me. Alot of the software reverbs take a while to configure all the settings and get the sound you're looking for. The timeworks stuff doesn't have an overbearing number of parameters.

I would try it out if you haven't already.

Plus it's much less than the waves stuff.

www.sonictimeworks.com

hope this helps,
Brandon

Just demoed Timeworks Reverb 4080L. Very nice.:cool: I already have the Waves reverbs and this sounds much better... sweeter. $119.

I didn't try ReverbX because it look as if it need more juice than my computer has. $199.

Thanks Brandon!:D

I pick Timeworks Reverb 4080L as the best I've heard so far. Any other contenders?

barefoot

I agree. ReverbX is THE best sounding reverb unit, hardware or software I have ever heard.

The older version (408L) got a rave review in ProRec and is a snip at $119. ReverbX is as Barefoot says, $199.

14 day free trial, full demo available for download.:D

Well...

I have the Waves Verb and TC Native Reverb.

For lead vocals, the TC is unnacceptable in my opinion. Just doesn't have that professional smooth sheen that other verbs do.

The Waves verb is the best out of all the verbs I have tried for plugins variety.
It is NOT as good as an outboard Lexicon, but if that isn't in the picture, then the Waves would be the choice, although I have not tried the Timeworks yet.

I will use "lesser" reverbs on less critical tracks (like backing tracks), just to differentiate the sonic space in the mix.

SH

just to check my standards against yours, guys.
what do you think about Digidesign' D-Verb? Does it fall into the "crap" territory, or do you find that is good?
Cheers, Andrés

Since I got motivated on this reverb issue, I finally got around to installing Sound Forge 5.0. (had been running 4.5). I listened to a some of the Acoustic Mirror reverb impulses (Churches, Concert Halls, Hallways and Large Rooms). Very nice tails, but claps, rim shots, and such still have an initial touch of that SF popcorn reverb quality. Not as natural as you might hope considering they are impulse responses of real acoustic spaces.

barefoot

Barefoot, why dont you like the Waves reverb? have you used it much?

I'm trying to decide on a good reverb also.

Seventh, are you the Seventh from Australia?

I do like TrueVerb and use it quite a lot. But it just doesn't seem to have that super sweet and smooth quality you hear on some recordings - on which I assume they are using the very best outboard processors.

I think it's very good... just don't think it's GREAT.

Also, I listed to more of the Acoustic Mirror impulses and I've changed my opinion. Some of them are a bit grainy, but apparently it's program dependent, because others sound really, REALLY GOOD with those sharp rim-shot sounds that I'm very fond of. My only complaint is these seem a touch too..... umm?.... "analytical" I guess I'd call it. They could be more lively. But think this might easily be fixed with a bit of EQ. I'm going to listen and experiment some more.

barefoot

shoot...for what it is worth...I think all the mentioned reverbs are ALL very good. Picking a winner is like picking the best $200 mic, or the best guitar. That's what is so cool about equipment now...It is all extremely good.
....or at least it sounds killer to me;) (and I've got 'em all too)

nice useless response...eh??:(

Mixmkr - Thanks for clearing things up ;)

My only software reverb experience is with CoolEdit and Logic. The cool edit verb is cool for some stuff the Logic verb is absolutely useless.

I'll have to try some of the demoes.

Hey, barefoot - Try Waves Renaissance Verb (R verb). Uses a boatload of CPU power, but it's MUCH smoother than TrueVerb. It's right up there with the 4080L, and very customizable. Very lush sounds once you find your favorites. Some, admittedly, are poorer than others, but work with it for a little while - I'm sure you'll dig it.

The Waves RVerb is wonderful.. takes some tweaking, but oh, how good it sounds. Cool Edit's reverb isn't bad in any way either. Tho I have never tried sonic timeworks...

What about Altiverb

I think that is the name. has anyone tried this gizmo-plug-em-up-number. It got some rave reviews as i recall, however, it is a bit pricey too, as I also recall.

If my Waves Gold package was stolen I would buy another Waves Gold package in a heartbeat. That was until the other day. Now with the Waves L-2 and the Mastering Bundle....no other software compares. Just demo it.....and listen loud.

Regarding the Reverbs.....I'm not sure if you mean normal type reverbs or what was just released...and ABSOLUTELY ROCKS...The Waves Mastering Bundle. Demo it for a few days....Waves Mastering Bundle which includes what I think is the BEST software reverb anywhere.

Back