What am I doing wrong?!

Tejas

Hi all! I've been trying to cover a song lately and have most of the tracks down except for a BIG guitar that comes in during the choruses. I just can't seem to get it right.

<Terribly sorry for posting links before 10 posts, but I am really, really desperate at this point>

The song I'm covering is this: youtube.com/watch?v=iOTcr9wKC-o
My (in progress, demo) cover is this: box.com/s/8e3e574363d5713bcd58

I'm content with most of it, except this chorus guitar (comes in at 0:54-0:55 in the YouTube vid) is really important, and I just can't seem to figure it out! I always thought it was a guitar with a ton of reverb and possibly doubled. I was proved wrong on trying it. I just can't seem to figure this out. Any help would be greatly, greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Hi all! I've been trying to cover a song lately and have most of the tracks down except for a BIG guitar that comes in during the choruses. I just can't seem to get it right.

<Terribly sorry for posting links before 10 posts, but I am really, really desperate at this point>

The song I'm covering is this: youtube.com/watch?v=iOTcr9wKC-o
My (in progress, demo) cover is this: box.com/s/8e3e574363d5713bcd58

I'm content with most of it, except this chorus guitar (comes in at 0:54-0:55 in the YouTube vid) is really important, and I just can't seem to figure it out! I always thought it was a guitar with a ton of reverb and possibly doubled. I was proved wrong on trying it. I just can't seem to figure this out. Any help would be greatly, greatly appreciated! Thanks!

In the chorus, a slightly overdriven guitar comes in. Well, technically two, one panned to each side. Is that what you're missing?

I've tried that, but the guitars don't sound as powerful. It still sounds like something is missing. This is very frustrating!

Remember, in order to generate a "powerful" entrance with the chorus, the verse has to be audibly quieter. So essentially the volume of everything should increase when it "kicks in".

Just because the techniques you tried didn't work, it doesn't mean that's not what they're doing. It's all about the source sound.

I haven't listened to your clip, so I'll pose this as a question: Are you sure you have "power" you're looking for at the source? Is your tone similar to the original.?

OK, so that was 2 questions. :)

That track has 2 elements you probably don't have.
1. The reverb/delay is very deep. I bet you can get this sound with a lexicon pcm 70 (or 80). I have both and they can do it easily. I use these types of settings quite alot. The cheaper reverb/delay boxes (plug-ins) don't even come close to these (or a Bricasti)
2. The guitars are probably recorded LOUD. You simply cannot get power where no power exists.

I just listened to your track. You have major room modal problems to begin with. The acoustics in your mixing room are really bad. The bass is taking away all the power of the guitars and there are serious standing room waves there. You have to treat that room or move to a better mixing environment. I assume you close miked the guitar amps? If so, the tracks are probably OK. If you used a direct device, you will never get the sound of power. I can't tell as the mix is so bad, the guitars are almost gone in the wash.

First. The acoustic guitar sounds VERY close to the original, except is not well-tuned and it's missing a better and constant up-and-down strumming. Then you should add a wide stereo reverb (not too much)

Second. The guitar in the verse is very thick, so you should get an amp and guitar that can deliver that tone. You can't force that tone in the software, or at least you shouldnt.

Good luck.

Even without the verb, the guitar layers(plural) are way more forward re the drums. bass etc in the utoob clip. Yours are sudude/pulled back by comparison. Get some mid/ highmid agression in the tone, push um up.

Back