Weird buzz/hiss when recording...

Physical Ill

First off I'll say I have an AT4040 connected to an XLR to USB converter, connected to a USB port on my PC, and my DAW is Acid Pro 6.0.

Anything I record always has a buzz/hiss noise in the background regardless of what noise is going on in the room. Even if I unplug my mic and hit record, instead of there being no sound at all, there is JUST the buzz and hiss! I tried windows sound recorder and it does the same thing, so I doubt its my software, and I tried my backup mic (B1) and it does the same, so it can't be the mic. I've been using the same setup for a year now and this never happened, although I have moved to a different house. Could it have to do with bad wiring or something?

I've been using the same setup for a year now and this never happened, although I have moved to a different house. Could it have to do with bad wiring or something?

yes

probably less 'bad' then poorly grounded . . . unfortunately these issues can be a bitch to diagnosis and fix

What computer? is everything you use attached to mains via same circuit?

I have a custom build PC...

Also yeah I don't have anything connected to an alternate power line or anything...everythings on the main power line.

Ummm, that 4040 requires phantom power, does it not? if so, does your USB adapter supply phantom power? If not that could be a problem.

If that's one of those condenser mics that can run off of phantom power or battery, use phantom power only, and not the battery (and not both.)

Also, if that's a custom built PC, make sure they put a decent quality power supply in it; cheapo power supplies can leak RF like a sieve.

Also with that USB adapter, make sue it's set up for balanced input from your mic cable (i.e. that all three input pins are wired for balanced operation.

Make sure all your gear is plugged into the same *breaker circuit* (it's not that uncommon for one room to be fed by more than one circuit), and that that circuit is properly grounded.

Unplug any wall warts you may be using and see if that makes a difference.

Turn off any neon or florescent lights A/C or fridges anywhere near your gear, or in your room or even on the same breaker circuit in another room and see if that helps.

Make sure you are using proper 3-pin AC plugs where applicable, and that any native 2-pin plugs are not accidentally forced in upside down.

Keep all your audio cables (including monitor cables) as far away from any CRT-style video monitors or TVs you may have, and try not to run your audio cables parallel to any AC power wire runs for any length longer than necessary.

Make sure none of your audio cables - from mic to monitor - are wrapped into coils any more than they need be.

Skip recording and take up photography instead.

G.

OK it was just the outlet I guess...I moved my PC to the other side of the room to another outlet and the buzzing went away...Looks like I have a complaint to the electricians to make.

Back