Waves Plugin

Sjane

Spent alot on this plugin. Pls tell me which one is the best one to use on vocal? I have used audiotrack and Rverb. Anyone have the basic setting? Or may be this plugin is too complicated for beginners.

Also can i use this plugin for mastering?

I am using cubase.

Sjane said:
Spent alot on this plugin. Pls tell me which one is the best one to use on vocal? I have used audiotrack and Rverb. Anyone have the basic setting? Or may be this plugin is too complicated for beginners.

It is obvious you are brand new to recording, and there is no shame in that. But the problem is, you haven't had a chance to learn enough to even ask a question that is answerable.

Your questions are a lot like:

"What is the best color to paint my house."
"I want a girlfriend. Which one do I pick?"
"What is the best car to drive?"
"I'm hungry, what is the best food to eat?"

In all these cases, including the questions you actually asked, there is no answer, because the answer will be completely different depending on hundreds of variables which haven't been defined.

There is no best food, best color, or best car... because the answer will be different for each person's unique taste and for each unique situation. For that exact same reason, there is no "best plug-in" or universal plug-in setting.

Sjane said:
Spent alot on this plugin.

Doubt it.

Sjane said:
Pls tell me which one is the best one to use on vocal?

All of them

Sjane said:
I have used audiotrack and Rverb. Anyone have the basic setting?

The most basic setting.....I'm guessing would be...."0"

Sjane said:
Or may be this plugin is too complicated for beginners.

No, but it's probably too complicated for someone without the manual.

Sjane said:

What plugin? You mean just Waves in general? Hey, why not?

Sjane said:
I am using cubase.

That's nice. ;)

This may be off topic, but reading this thread once again reminded me that there is no "easy button" (sorry Staples) for recording, mixing, mastering, using plug-ins in general, etc. I have to admit, at one time I was guilty of this. I started out analog and did indeed use some guidelines when twisting the knobs, but that stuff got burned in and in a lot of cases became automatic. When I first jumped into DAW based recording, I was constantly on the lookout for the "ultimate" EQ setting, the "best" ratio/attack/release for vox, etc. etc. etc. Was I really doing anything different than the old analog days? Not really, just the knobs were now pictures on a monitor and not a physical thing I could grab (I do everything in the box - soon to change). If you look at the world as we know it now (or at least my view of it), just about everyone has a computer of some sort. They get the "itch" to record their music, run to Guitar Center or Sam Ash and buy a $150 audio interface that comes with a free copy of Cubase lite and *poof* instant multitrack studio. I may be dating myself, but I remember the analog days where if you could buy a decent desk and multitrack for under $7500 you were lucky... never mind outboard gear, mic's, monitors, etc. Now you can basically buy a turnkey "recording studio" for less than $1000. In the "old days", if you were going to drop the cash on equipment you HAD to know what the hell you were doing. Now it's more of a "buy it and figure it out later" mentality. So enough rambling from the whacky old guy in NJ... here's the steps on how to get THE setting for whatever it is you're trying to set:

1. Understand what the hell it does (or is supposed to do) in the first place. This means RTFM.
2. Listen to your track
3. Listen to a track from a band you like in the same genre
4. Listen to your track again
5. Turn the little knobs - be they on a physical device or computer screen - until your track sounds good to you. If it sounds good, it is good.
6. Forget about finding an "Easy Button" on recording forums.

Off my soapbox....

Want the BEST advice?

Take the Waves back, and for half the money get a UAD card with a couple good eq's, comps, and a decent verb......

Sjane said:

I am using cubase.

Now why would a beginner spend big bucks for a product they know absolutely nothing about? It sure sounds fishy to me.

Sjane, which bundle did you choose and why? You must be well-to-do. Did you invest in high end hardware as well? Can you tell us about it?

Raw

RawDepth said:
Now why would a beginner spend big bucks for a product they know absolutely nothing about? It sure sounds fishy to me.

Sjane, which bundle did you choose and why? You must be well-to-do. Did you invest in high end hardware as well? Can you tell us about it?

Raw

Very fishy.... :eek:

At the very least they could have said they were using the demo to do it.
I downloaded that once to give it a try, and found so many options and variables I didn't know what to do with myself.

HI!

I read about this product in the net with good review. so i decided to give it a try (the only try). Cant buy the platinum bundle too expensive. I got the gold native bundle.

I am using windows pc, cubase, yamaha mg8/2fx, sm57 and creative E-MU 0404. No vocal booth yet, but the room is small and wall is padded with thick fabric act as wallpaper :confused: .

I'm trying to process vocal alone (speech only w/o music) and ofcourse the singing part.

I want to have that airy thick vocal. Not like it is recorded in a tape recorder.

I have read the manual but the further I read the more i get confused. There are so much in the plugin saying about the same thing.

give me time to reply I'm in a different time zone. It's 13hrs different. :)

Sjane said:
HI!
No vocal booth yet, but the room is small and wall is padded with thick fabric act as wallpaper :confused: .

And why would you need a vocal booth? Do you live next to the train tracks?

metalhead28 said:
Doubt it.

All of them

The most basic setting.....I'm guessing would be...."0"

No, but it's probably too complicated for someone without the manual.

What plugin? You mean just Waves in general? Hey, why not?

That's nice. ;)

LMFFAO.

It's posts like this that keep me coming back, I love the comedy (and it's actually 100% accurate as far as the answers). Some of the drama I could do without, but it's all part of the package I guess.

studiomaster said:
Why the hell would you need a vocal booth for a SM57?

His neighbor is a hooker and former opera singer. And he was getting a lot of:

"Oh, God, Baby! That's it... Yeah! Just like that honey! Oh, Oh. Jesus... You're SOOO Big! Oh... Oh... It's so good, so good... Oh... Oh...AhEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!"

...in all his recordings.

Back