VU Meter and DAW Meter

jojo169

Hi guys, I am Logic Pro user and recently try to using Waves VU Meter to gain staging the level on my project. The problem that I found is when I set my VU meter on -18 headroom and hit 0, the meter on Logic Pro is -12dbfs. I confuse which meter should I rely since I want to set all my tracks 0VU=-18dbfs. I saw the youtube video someone post about the VU meter and he had the same number on VU and DAW metering. Please help me with this metering:thumbs up::thumbs up:.

Hi guys, I am Logic Pro user and recently try to using Waves VU Meter to gain staging the level on my project. The problem that I found is when I set my VU meter on -18 headroom and hit 0, the meter on Logic Pro is -12dbfs. I confuse which meter should I rely since I want to set all my tracks 0VU=-18dbfs. I saw the youtube video someone post about the VU meter and he had the same number on VU and DAW metering. Please help me with this metering:thumbs up::thumbs up:.

What output (in dBu) does your interface give for -18dB fs?

Not that I have Logic Pro or Wavs VU but I think others will need this information.

Dave.

The two meters are measuring different things. The VU meter is measuring the average signal level and the daw meter is measuring the peak level. Both meters are right.

Your peak level will always be higher than your average level.

The two meters are measuring different things. The VU meter is measuring the average signal level and the daw meter is measuring the peak level. Both meters are right.

Your peak level will always be higher than your average level.

Right. And remember, you cannot calibrate a meter system with anything other than a sine tone. Then they will still not agree on programme.

Dave.

There is, AFAICT no standard that equates 'VU' zero level with dBfs.

The 'pro' standard is that 0dBfs delivers +24dBu or just over 12V rms and that is well beyond the vast majority of 'prosumer' interfaces. That level would put +4dBu at -20dBfs but again of course most interfaces will not deliver +4dBu at 0dBfs, some VERY much less.

Mix '+24' with '+4' and then throw in neg ten and you have fine mess Olly. Interfaces use a variety of operating levels and interchanging signals with other pieces of gear can be problematic and metering systems are rarely compatible.

The best we can do in most cases is go by the DAW meters and ensure gain controls are set at sensible positions to avoid overload or noise.

Dave.

Back