vocal reverb

try some ofthe plate reverbs on that. but erm, have you got any outboard reverbs to use? it's gonna eat up your processor pretty well.

Is that a good verb? I have that, and I have the Waves verbs, and the Cakewalk/Sonar stuff, and the Nuendo VST verbs. Think the TC native is better than the Waves?

The TC reverb is good, but if yuo're playing back like 24 tracks or so, and have a few of them going on, it's a bit nasty of the processor!

Easy solution LongWave:
Get a reverb set up on a track exactly the way you want it, then bounce the result to disk, import it into your session, and mute the original. Do that with all the tracks and your processor will be able to sleep right through it.
Alternative, get more processing speed!!

I have Waves Gold and the TC plug-ins, use them both a lot, but I prefer the TC's for vocal set-ups. TC VoiceTools, for me, is the most valuable plug-in I've got (not just for vocals).

Be very carefull with using a DAW plus external outboard gear. It will (not might) give you a problem. Something even most "pro's" haven't figured out yet (especially in large studio's where they use Pro Tools plus a large console plus loads'a outboard gear).
Everytime you create an aux send, export a signal into an external processor and route it back into your system, you have a time delay on the return, which is called latency.

If you do the same within your DAW you will also create latency, depending one the plug-in it averages at between 7 and 12 samples. A good system will compensate for the latency in the return automatically (most don't), by creating an equal delay in all the session's tracks.
The only way to do the same when you route an aux outside your system is to measure the latency, and make adjustments. Very time consuming (if you know how to do it :). As you can imagine outboard gear creates a latency multiple times that of a plug-in.
Just imagine what a track sounds like if you have, lets say 20 tracks, and 12 of them are out of time somewhat!!n It sucks!!
(and there is one of the reasons why some pro's say digital recording sucks - they havn't figured out the problem ... yet)

yeah, but most pros dont send it back into the DAW. in the digital suite here for example, we dont mix on the computer, it's just used for recording, so the tracks are recorded on onto 3 MOTU 2408's.(or ProTools/2 D8b's) 24 outs from that straight into the mixer, auxes go from there, output of that goes to whatever we're mixing down to.

sjoko, the problem with that solution is that suppose you had like 5 reverbs going on on a session with 24 tracks playing back, FOR ME, it'd drive me insane recording all the reverb'd tracks in, and then altering and re-recording till they fit in the mix. and in a pro studio, there's just not enough time for us to record things in like that. im one of those people who likes to see things going on in real time. i used to be up for compressors on pro tools, or cubase, but now, i run everything out. i just cant trust compression from a computer, not that it's bad, it's just i feel more comfertable sitting infront of a compressor and tweaking. dont get any latency problems, and my atari's are still going strong for midi! the only "virtual" effect i use now is maybe the lexiverb plug in on my D8b's, or the Autotune on the D8B's.

i dont think digital recording sucks. i prefer the sound of analog when recording a band, but i do use Pro Tools24 to record the vocals, so i can mess around with them a lot easier.

Sjoko,

There must be something I don't understand here. Why can't you just send the track to the verb and record a 100% wet signal coming back, then adjust the volume to get the amount of reverb you want. Since reverb is all about delay I doubt you'd notice that the wet signal had been delayed and you'd preserve 100% of the original track.

Kaydis & LongWave .... please note my comments re boucing to disk and latency were in reference to MPA's questions??
Of cause you only bounce to disk if its the only option, or if you run out of processing power. I have done it when using a PT system with only a couple of extra cards.
Kaydis - of cause, you can just record the auxilliary - just depends on how many tracks your system is capable off.

Back