Very Aggressive Autotune!

"We rate music according to whether it required skill to perform or whether a machine could have done it just as well."

I understand your point, but it's premised the false idea that *everyone* listens to *every* musical artist on some common set of "Musical Skill" standards. None of the millions of people purchasing T-pains record (or insert any other such artist here) are using this standard you've proposed. They are purchasing his, and others, records for that same sense of "escapism", or the way it makes them "feel", as said CGI effects in a film.

I've always been intrigued by the vitriol against Autotune, especially as a really obvious effect.
Vitreol......that's sulphuric acid.
I am into sounds. There just happen to be some sounds I love, some I'm indifferent to and some I hate. For example, I love the violin, viola, cello and double bass. I like them in classical, folk, jazz, pop and rock applications. I like them improvised and freeform. But when the player starts getting into all that discordant scraping, well, I hate that. I dig the electric guitar but some of the early fuzz box sounds I can't stand. I don't like the old 'standard' jazz guitar sound from the 40s or whenever. That's just the way it goes avec moi. I'm not really interested whether it's popular to like autotune or for that matter to hate it. I can't stand it. It's a shame. I'd like to be able to like it but I just don't. So don't go getting it for me for my birthday. I'll just flog it on ebay. :D

Any suggestions on types of vocoders?

I have one of these and have yet to find a use for it (not really into tons of vocal fx beyond compression and verb). The nice thing is it's very straight forward to use even in regards to the internal synth (playing it via midi controller).

Plus it's cheap (for something like this):

Electro_Harmonix_V256_Vocoder_a.jpg

Here is a video with quite a bit of vocoder going on (different EHX pedal though):

YouTube - Voice Box - Video by Jack Conte - Vocal Harmony Machine/ Vocoder

Back