UAD Precision Maximiser

acidrock

GO PACKERS!
I'm demoing this and I'm not really quite sure what to make of it.Does anyone have any input on using it?
If it were half the price I probably would've bought it already.

Haven't demoed it yet - but with the December sale you may be able to get for half price.

Well shortly after starting this thread I became aware of this months UAD sale which would put the Maximiser at $129.:cool:The only problem is now they came out with two new plugs that I'm going to have to try out.
I have tried the Maximise on a few things and it does give you instant loudness without danger of clipping,but it seems like it may be a bit easy to abuse and may have a cumulative effect on a mix.I liked it,but not $200 worth of like.I was hoping someone could steer me to a use of it where I said "Okay,I've got to have it".:rolleyes:
I've got $350 dollars worth of vouchers but I really don't know if I need another compressor or EQ.

I wouldn't put it in the 'must have' category myself, although I bought it so apparently I was feeling 'must have' for a minute:)

I've used it on snare a couple of times. On an entire mix the multiband mode to me had an unnatural vibe similar to a multiband compressor. The single band mode just kind of washed out the upper midrange if memory serves.

IMO the best plugins from UAD are the emulations. They seem to lead the pack at emulating. LA2A, LA3A, Fairchild, Neves, Plate Verb all add great character.

If you have any use for a Transient Designer, you might hold out for that. I'm assuming they're going to nail that one. I've used a hardware unit and it not only does the shaping, but also sounds great. I haven't heard a plugin that does it as well as the hardware. If UAD gets it right it will rock.

All IMO of course.

I liked the maximiser for the bubbly distortion it adds to guitar/drums type mixes. It suits the stuff I do

If you have any use for a Transient Designer, you might hold out for that. I'm assuming they're going to nail that one. I've used a hardware unit and it not only does the shaping, but also sounds great. I haven't heard a plugin that does it as well as the hardware. If UAD gets it right it will rock.

All IMO of course.
I don't do drums,but I am interested in what the TD will do to acoustic guitar and some hand percussion.The new compressor sounds nice too,I like the mix and filter options.:cool:Of course I'll have to tey them out first,and the price will have a big influence on what I get.

Still even at $129 with the voucher I'm not sold on the Maximiser,if it were $99 yeah,then I'd have it.

Back