Types of compressor??

walshi

Hi all,

Yep...I'm still a newbie, but with help from you guys I'm gonna' change that soon!!!

I use Samplitude and get along with it fine, however one thing I'm never sure of...When I go to the dynamics section of the mixer, the compressor is always defaulted to "COMPR. MAX". I can go in there and change this setting to "COMP" if I want to. There IS an audible difference in these settings, Comp Max always lifts the volume and Comp tends to lower it. What I want to know is...When everyone on this board is talking about compressors and various settings etc are they talking about Comp Max or Comp?? I guess you may need to be a Samplitude user to answer this?

My guess is that Comp Max lifts the troughs, while normal Comp lowers the peaks? If this is the case, which one do I use when reading all your compressor settings /advice etc...Basically, which one matches a standard "off the shelf" compressor box?

Not sure if that made sense...Hope so!!

Walshy

I'm completely guessing here but it sounds like the Max setting adds auto make up gain. If that is the case both settings are doing the same compression but Max automatically raises the volume to make up for the compressions level drop.

Back